List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1242414

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentShepwayDistrict AuthoritySwingfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 441802

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 24 SW SWINGFIELD THE STREET (north side)

5/195 Church of St. Peter 29.12.66 GV I

Parish church. C13, possibly with late Cll or C12 origins, and C15. Restored 1870. Knapped flint with stone dressings. Plain tile roofs. West tower, nave, slightly narrower chancel, north aisle to nave. West tower: late C15. Three stages, on chamfered stone plinth. Diagonal north-west and south-west buttresses. Plain parapet above a moulded string. Pyramidal slate roof with weathervane. Belfry windows of two pointed-arched lights and sexfoil. No other openings to north or south. Small rectangular brick west window towards top of lowest stage, with stone west lancet, with hoodmould, under it. Low hollow-chamfered pointed-arched west doorway in shallow hollow-chamfered rectangular recess. Circular south-east stair turret, taller than tower, with plain parapet and slit lights. Nave: south elevation: two buttresses. Untraceried straight-headed C15 window with two cinquefoil-headed lights and hoodmould, towards west end. Straight- headed window with two trefoil-headed lights to east of porch, and tall plain-chamfered pointed lancet. Two stone corbels under eaves. South porch: C14 or C15. Vertical boarding to gable. Probable evidence for durns to outer doorway. Roof with chamfered rectangular crown posts. Pointed- arched C13 inner doorway of two orders, the inner with rounded edges, the outer plain-chamfered, below a moulded impost. Roll moulding to outer order above impost, and scroll-moulded hoodmould. Two scratch dials. Chancel: C13. Roughly-coursed knapped flint almost chequered with blocks of stone. Diagonal north-east and south-east buttresses. Two plain-chamfered pointed south lancets, and two to north. Three stepped individual east lancets with oculus window above. North aisle: 1870. Lean-to roof. Four pointed north lancets. Very small round-headed east window of late Cll or C12 appearance Similar west window but with stone head channelled to represent arch and voussoirs. Interior: structure: four-bay C19 north arcade to nave, in a C13 or C14 style, with doubly plain-chamfered pointed arches and alternating circular and octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. C19 doubly plain-chamfered chancel arch, dying into walls. Tall, pointed C13 tower arch, plain-chamfered, with broach stops. Four-centred-arched chamfered doorway with broach stops, to tower stairs. Roof: crown-post roof to nave, with five slender moulded octagonal crown posts, ashlar pieces, and scissor braces trenched past collars, and past each other above. At each end, crown post is raised on a low secondary collar, with ogee braces between the collar and tie-beam. Scissor braces a relatively unusual survival in this area. Collared common rafter roof to chancel with sous-laces, ashlar-pieces and five tie-beams. Fittings: aumbry with broad, chamfered pointed arch towards east end of south wall of chancel. Larger, similar, unchamfered aumbry towards east end of north wall. Octagonal font with chamfered base. floor. Monuments: three large black stone tablets to nave floor. One to Mr Stephen Pilcher, d.1755, with roundel and achievements. Another similar, to Martha Pilcher, d.1750. One to John Simons, d.1677, with incised arms in spreading foliage. (J. Newman, North-east and East Kent, 1983 edn.)

Listing NGR: TR2246042965

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983)

National Grid Reference: TR 23285 43423

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 06:56:28.