List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THAMES TUNNEL

List entry Number: 1242119

Location

THAMES TUNNEL, WAPPING HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityTower HamletsLondon Borough

National Park: 

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 441472

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

WAPPING HIGH STREET TQ 3580 636-/5/10086 Thames Tunnel

II*

Underwater tunnel for human traffic. Begun 1825, completed 1843 by engineer Marc Isambard Brunel with assistance from Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Brick bedded in Roman cement and faced with clay tiles and stucco. 1,200ft long. Two parallel vaults of horseshoe section, 14ft wise by 16ft high and joined at intervals by cross arches are encased in a rectangular brick framework 38ft wide and 22ft high externally. At the end are access shafts 50ft across. Segmental arches separating the two vaults 'rest' on Greek Doric half-columns with square abaci. Many arches have been filled in. Stucco finish in 'ashlar' on top of red clay tile lining of tunnel. HISTORY. Experimental attempts to construct a tunnel were made in 1805 by Robert Vazie and again in 1808 by richard Trevithick. The present tunnel was constructed on a new line to a revised scheme by Marc Brunel (1769-1849) using a tunnelling shield designed by him and patented in 1818. The tunnel was opened on 26 May 1843. It remained a foot tunnel until 1865-9 when it was converted for the East London Railway. Later used by electric underground trains (East London Line).

Listing NGR: TQ3553280554

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 35083 80096

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 03:06:25.