List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MELLOR HALL AND MELLOR HALL FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1241992

Location

MELLOR HALL AND MELLOR HALL FARMHOUSE, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StockportMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Oct-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 441332

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 98 NE MARPLE CHURCH ROAD Mellor

7/75 Mellor Hall and Mellor Hall Farmhouse (formerly listed 20.12.67 as Mellor Hall)

G.V. II*

House and adjoining smithy which is now the farmhouse. House perhaps 1688 (Pevsner), farmhouse dated "IC 1691". Ashlar with graduated stone slate roof, dressed stone farmhouse with slate roof. 7 x 2 bays with 2 storeys, a central hall and staircase and 2 wings to the rear. Stone plinth, rusticated stone quoins, first and second floor bands, modillion eaves cornice and steep hipped roof. Central door with steep broken swan-neck pediment and coat of arms. The jamb is curiously dated 181?. 6 ground floor windows with 2- light ogee mullion and transom windows, marginal glazing bars and keystones. 7 first floor sash windows with marginal glazing bars, cyma-moulded surrounds and keystones. 2 ornate lead hopper heads and brackets to lead down pipes. Added bay to right has stone quoins, coped gable and kneelers and prominent stack. One rear wing has quoins, mullion and transom windows, modillion eaves cornice and a hipped roof whereas the other has a 4-light double-chamfered stone mullion window, 4 2-light mullion and transom windows and a coped gable with kneelers. The farmhouse is a continuation of the latter wing: it is of 3 bays and 2 storeys with a wing to its rear. Stone quoins, coped gables with kneelers and central chimney stack. 2-light double-chamfered mullion window to left, chamfered central door surround and blocked smithy opening to right. The first floor has a 1-light central window and 2 3-light flat-faced mullion windows under coped dormer gables with kneelers, one containing the datestone. The rear has a patio window and raised roofline. Interior of hall not inspected but the smithy has a massive hearth with segmental keystone arch.

Listing NGR: SJ9857589287

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 98575 89287

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 12:40:00.