List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List entry Number: 1241922

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, ST MARGARET'S STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentCanterburyDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Dec-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 441202

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 1457 NE 4/199 944

ST MARGARET'S STREET (North-west side) Church of St Margaret

3.12.49.

II*

Former parish church. C12 in origin but rebuilt in C15 and heavily restored C1850 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Faced with knapped flint with stone dressings and tiled roof. 3 bay nave with chancel reduced to a polygonal apse by Scott for road widening, north and south aisles and south west tower. South west tower has C15 lower stage with clasping buttresses and octagonal turret added by Scott, and squarish bell stage with lancets and crenellated parapet recon- structed after bomb damage in 1942. Nave is C15 restored with west gable end with Decorated style traceried window by Scott and west doorway which is a Scott copy of the Mid C12 doorway with shafts and billet on the hood mould. Aisles are also C15 altered by Scott and have Decorated style windows. Continuous plinth moulding. Interior has 3 bay nave with 4 bay crownpost roof. Aisles have reconstructed octagonal piers and a double wave on the arches. Early C14 piscina in south wall of North chapel. Good monuments including Sir George Newman (d 1627), a large wall monument at east end of south aisle with effigy in legal robes reclining on one side set in architectural surround including columns, open pediment and scrolls flanking the inscription. Joseph Colfe (d 1620) an architectural wall tablet and John Watson (d 1642) in the South wall, a half-figure facing the front in architectural niche wearing a ruff and resting his left hand on a skull. There are a series of good C17 and C18 wall plaques including one to John Barret and Paul Lukin (d 1709) a big architectural tablet with mourning putti signed by John Friend. Brass to John Wynter, twice Mayor of Canterbury (d 1470) in civilian dress. The church was built on the remains of Roman public baths. At first belonging to St Augustine's Abbey the church was given to the Poor Priests Hospital in 1271 in whose hands it remained until 1575. (See BOE "East Kent" P 232 and Canterbury Archaeological Trust pamphlet by Tim Tatton Brown "April 1986)



Listing NGR: TR1488757741

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Newman, J - Title: The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent - Date: 1983 - Page References: 232
  2. Article  Reference - Author: Tatton Brown, T - Title: Canterbury Archaeological Trust Pamphlet - Date: 1986 - Journal Title: Canterbury Archaeological Trust Pamphlet

National Grid Reference: TR 14887 57741

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 05:40:38.