List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1241752

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentShepwayDistrict AuthorityElmsted

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 440965

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 14 SW ELMSTEAD -

3/100 Church of St. James 29.12.66

GV I

Parish Church. Late Cll or C12, C13 and C14, restored in 1877. Flint with stone dressings. Plain tile roofs. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch, chancel with north and south chapels. West tower: C13, with late Cll or C12 base: Medieval belfry. Single stage, but north and south sides reduce in width about half way up with plain-tile shoulders. Large stone north-west and south-west quoins to lower half. Diagonal south-west buttress. Shingled timber- framed belfry jettied to west. Splay-footed octagonal spire. Two louvred three-light trefoil-headed windows to each face of belfry. No tower windows to north or east. Broadly-pointed plain-chamfered lancet towards top of west face, and another to south. Taller plain- chamfered lancet West window. Plain-chamfered pointed-arched west doorway. Nave: south elevation: continuous with south wall of tower base. C19 traceried three-light window. South aisle: C14 possibly with late Cll or early C12 origins. Narrow and gabled, stopping short of west end nave. Plinthless. Buttress towards east end. C14 or early C15 pointed west window of two cinquefoil-headed lights, with tracery of vertical bars, and hoodmould. One straight-headed C15 or C16 south window to east of porch, with two cinquefoil-headed lights and rectangular hoodmould. South porch: medieval, restored in C19. Coursed knapped flint. Gabled plain-tile roof. Window with cambered head, to each side. Crown-post roof; two outer crown posts plain. Broadly-chamfered rectangular central crown post with broach stops and head braces. Chamfered tie-beams. Pointed-arched plain-chamfered inner doorway with broach stops. Unchamfered pointed-arched outer doorway. South chancel chapel: early C14. Continuous with south aisle, but with chamfered stone plinth and lower eaves and ridge. East end flush with chancel. Diagonal south-east buttress. Large straight-headed south window with three cinquefoil-headed lights and moulded hoodmould. Similar two- light east window. Chancel: C13, probably with late Cll or C12 origins. Slightly narrower than nave. No plinth. Two buttresses. C15 or C16 untraceried east window with cambered head, three cinquefoil-headed lights, and hoodmould. North chancel chapel: early C14. Flush with east end of chancel. Plinthless. Diagonal north-east buttress. C14 pointed-arched east window with three cinquefoil-headed lights, tracery of cusped intersecting glazing bars with trefoils and quatrefoils, and with hoodmould. Pointed- arched C14 north window with Y tracery and trefoil, without hoodmould. North aisle: C14. More stone mixed with flint. Continuous with north chancel chapel, and slightly overlapping tower. Plinthless. One untraceried C15 or C16 north window, with cambered head, three cinquefoil-headed lights, and hoodmould. Straight-headed west window with two cinquefoil-headed lights and hoodmould. Small blocked plain-chamfered pointed-arched north doorway. Rainwater heads dated 1877. Interior: Structure: two-bay early C14 south arcade to nave, with doubly plain-chamfered pointed arches and octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. Two-bay C14 north arcade, similar to south arcade, but extending further to west and with more intricately-moulded capitals. East end of south arcade rests on late Cll or C12 pier of large ashlar blocks on plain-chamfered plinth, and with top heavily corbelled to south side. Footings for further structure to east and south. Small, probably pre-C14, stone quoins to east pier of north arcade, capped by single block from which arch springs. Doubly plain-chamfered pointed early C14 chancel arch, springing from moulded rectangular capitals which break forwards unusually. Plain-chamfered piers with broach stops. Two-bay early C16 north and south arcades to chancel, with doubly hollow-chamfered four-centred arches and octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. Early C14 pointed arch between south chancel chapel and south aisle, with plain-chamfered inner order and slightly ovolo-moulded outer order. Moulded rectangular capitals slightly different from chancel-arch capitals, but similarly breaking forwards under inner order of arch, each on image corbel. Piers slightly hollow chamfered, with cushion stops to base and undercut trefoil to tops. Doubly plain-chamfered pointed arch between north chancel chapel and north aisle, springing from chamfered imposts which break forwards to centre with rounded corbel under. Low, pointed C14 tower arch, with plain-chamfered inner order springing from moulded semi-octagonal piers, and hollow-chamfered outer order descending to ground with cushion and broach stops. Above arch, exposed voussoirs of taller, broader, blocked, round-headed late Cll or C12 tower arch. Roof: C19 crown-post roof to nave and north aisle. Chancel and north chancel chapel roofs boarded in five cants. Plastered barrel vault to south chancel chapel. Medieval crown-post roof to south, with three cambered plain-chamfered tie-beams, with moulded octagonal crown posts, sous-laces and ashlar pieces. Fittings: piscina in rectangular recess towards east end of south chancel chapel. C13 piscina in moulded recess with trefoiled head and moulded hoodmould, towards east end of south wall of chancel. Image corbel to north wall of north chancel chapel. Late Cll or C12 font, low, deep, octagonal, with two panels of blind arcading to each side, circular central pier and eight slender perimeter columns. Small C17 altar table. Hexagonal C17 pulpit with sunk moulded panels, strapwork, fleur-de-lys frieze, and enriched cornice. Medieval screen, probably of domestic origin, with close-studded partition under moulded and brattished beam, across west end of north aisle. Laudian altar rails with turned balusters. Monuments: Cartouche on south wall of south chancel chapel, to Sir William Honeywood, d. 1748. Monument on same wall, to Thomas Honeywood, d. 1622; grey-painted chalk in form of triptych. Central section has moulded and pulvinated base, scrolled base-plate and shield, and raised and moulded inscription panel in eared surround, flanked by Composite columns. Above it, a recessed panel with inverted scrolls, and triangular pediment with cherubs head and achievements. Recessed flanking sections, each carved with angel in husked surround, and with scrolled base plate and corniced pediment with shields. Tablet on same wall, to Mary Honeywood, d. 1708, lettered on a shroud with gilded fringe, cherubs' heads, and shield surmounted by urn. Brass of a lady, part of a brass to Christopher Gay, d. 1507. Monument on north wall of north chancel chapel, to William Honeywood, d. 1669. Black marble inscription panel in a frame which breaks forwards twice. Each back panel eared, the outer with inverted scrolls to base and festoon to return sides. Festooned rectangular panel flanked by acanthus consoles and with scrolled acanthus base plate under inscription panel. Moulded cornice over oak-leaf frieze, breaking forwards three times. Segmental pediment with achievements over central break. Monument by Thomas Scheemakers on same wall, to Sir John Honeywood, d. 1781. White marble. Rectangular inscription panel, flanked by reeded pilasters which curve out at top to form consoles under flower paterae. Shaped base plate, also with inscription. Moulded cornice surmounted by -sarcophagus with bust above it, against grey marble obelisk back plate. (J. Jewman, Buildings of England Series, North-east and East Kent, 1983 edn.)

Listing NGR: TR1178645546

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983)

National Grid Reference: TR 11658 44934

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 12:09:02.