List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ABNEY HALL

List entry Number: 1241730

Location

ABNEY HALL, MANCHESTER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StockportMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Jun-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 440930

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 88 NE CHEADLE MANCHESTER ROAD (north-east side)

5/36 Abney Hall 30.6.75

G.V. II*

Large house now school of languages. North-west corner 1847 for A. Orrell, neo-Norman; south and south-east 1849 probably by Travis and Mangnall for James Watt, Tudor- Gothic; south-east corner 1894 by G. F. Armitage of Altrincham. Flemish bond brick with sandstone dressings and slate roof. Large irregular house with 2 storeys plus attics. Heavily enriched neo-Norman entrance portal with elaborate cusped arcade at first floor, neo-Norman niche and coped gable. Wings project slightly on either side and have large mullion and transom windows with arched (left) and cusped (right) lights, enriched band, continuous hoodmoulds, statue niches and pinnacled coped gables. The garden elevation (south), apart from a series of 7 irregular gables has square, triangular and polygonal bay windows, a 2-storey bow window, gargoyles, weather-vanes, numerous elaborate chimney shafts and a 5-bay single-storey addition of 1894 in ashlar with 5 stepped gables, mullion and transom windows and a large central niche. Interior: even more sumptuous, the work carried out by J. G. Crace between 1852 and 1857, much of it to designs by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Heavily carved open-well staircase with arched braces carrying a panelled ceiling. Landing lantern on ribs and tierceron ribs on the Ely octagon pattern. Drawing room with Puginesque richness, panelled pendant ceiling, papier-maché doorcases, white marble chimney piece and chandelier by Hardman. Music room with huge inglenook fireplace and heraldic stained glass of 1894. Generally a Puginian Gothic interior of extaordinary quality executed by Grace who may have been the greatest interior decorator of his day.

Listing NGR: SJ8595389237

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 85953 89237

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 09:41:50.