List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WILLINGHURST HOUSE

List entry Number: 1241361

Location

WILLINGHURST HOUSE, WILLINGHURST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyWaverleyDistrict AuthorityWonersh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 440396

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 04SE WONERSH C.P. WILLINGHURST Shamley Green

6/420 Willinghurst House

GV II

House. 1887 by Philip Webb, part demolished in 1950's. Sandstone block below, some snecked, and tile hung above to right canted out over the ground floor, brick to first floor left with tile hung second floor over. Plain tiled roofs hipped and swept out to eaves. Two storeys to right and centre with brick dentil band over ground floor. Three storeys in projecting hip roofed range to left. Rear ridge stack to right of centre and rear stack to left. One segmental headed 18-pane glazing bar sash window to ground floor right, one 12-pane window above. Two 12-pane glazing bar sash windows to first floor right of centre. Two 12-pane glazing bar sash windows on the second floor. One 4-pane leaded window and a large 12-light staircase window to first floor left. Coved and dentilled hood over the ground floor left and centre with leaded bow window of five by two lights in splay sided reveal on centre of ground floor. One 4-light window to ground floor left. Paired half-glazed doors to left in the centre of the bay under three-step, gauged brick round arched head with blue and brown brick panel over. End pentices. Rear - ground drops away. Four cambered head ground floor sash windows, brick and wood dentilled eaves. Three 12-pane sash windows to first floor with shutters. Coved cornice and dentil band over single storey range set back to left. Flat lead covered pavilion attached to front left with spike finial. Buttresses to front right. Right hand angle splayed under bracket eaves with one sash window on each floor. Right hand return front - Triple hipped range, each with one shuttered first floor window. Square bay to ground floor right with central sash/door flanked by thin panels in arched two-step surrounds. Block of rooms connecting house to service buildings now demolished. Interior:- good staircase. Painted panelling. Some fireplaces.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.174-5.

Listing NGR: TQ0532342546

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Surrey - Date: 1971 - Page References: 174-5

National Grid Reference: TQ 05323 42546

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Aug-2014 at 10:01:38.