List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARNETT HILL

List entry Number: 1241148

Location

BARNETT HILL, BLACKHEATH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyWaverleyDistrict AuthorityWonersh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 440082

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 04NW WONERSH C.P. BLACKHEATH LANE

1/332 Barnett Hill

GV II *

House, now Conference Centre. c.1905 by Arnold Mitchell for F. Cook in Carolean style. Purple/brown brick with red brick and yellow stone dressings, hipped plain tiled roofs over with wooden eaves cornice. H-shape plan with entrance courtyard and service buildings in range to left. Two storeys and attics with multiple stacks to front ends of wings and on centre of recessed range,of lozenge section. Symmetrical about centre entrance porch with five bay range flanked by projecting wings. Parapet over centre range partially obscuring the roof. One small dormer window either side of centre-and fine modillion eaves cornice below with foliate brackets and acanthus band beneath. Glazing bar sash fenestration with stone sills and aprons to windows. Five windows across the first floor under gauged brick heads, that on the entrance porch of 8-panes, 12-panes either side on first floor; 24-pane windows on ground floor with keystones over. Square turrets in angles between wings and recessed range under copper ogee domes with spherical finials. Banded stone and rubbed brick angles and one 8-pane glazing bar sash window on each floor of each face of each tower, roundel window under eyebrow 'dormer' over cornice. Wings:- Court-facing return walls - three, 8-pane windows on first floor with stone sills and aprons, three tall 12-pane glazing bar sash windows below. Two 12-pane glazing bar sash windows on the ends of each wing, one either side of stack, scrolls and garlands. Two steeply gabled dormers in roofs of wings facing across the entrance courtyard. Projecting stone entrance porch to centre with deep modillioned segmental pediment. Flamboyant cartouche in typanum of pediment and panelled pilasters to angles with foliate garlands to lugged panels. Central window with shouldered surround over and panelled apron below. Channelled ground floor rustication with 'aprons' to ends supporting cornice. Central garlanded keystone in cornice over round arched and coved surround to stone flagged porch entrance, vaulted above. Flank walls of porch have first floor windows in finely panelled and rebated surrounds and stilted,round arched windows below under cornice and keystoned head and in coved recess surround. Further half-glazed doors to base of towers. Wing to left at angles-with single storey range across the front under cross-ridge stack, taller dormered range to rear. Rear:- Projecting two storey angle bays to ends, dormers in roofs. Central stone frontispiecewith broken pediment to first floor, broken swans-neck pediment over ground floor. Fine cartouche on first floor connected to panelled pilasters by rich foliate garland. Central window in rebated surround. Wider cornice on ground floor with central scroll keystone over casement door, Ionic pilasters flanking on pedestals. Service wing set back to right. Interior:- barrel vaulted entrance corridor with plasterwork panels on ceiling and moulded doorcases.

C. ASLET: THE LAST COUNTRY HOUSES (1982) pp.36, 139 & 311; ill. 80 THE BUILDER: 29 Mar. 1912 p.164, 268; i. BUILDING NEWS: 15 Mar. 1912.

Listing NGR: TQ0243145442

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Aslet, C - Title: The Last Country House - Date: 1982 - Page References: 36 139 311
  2. Article  Reference - Title: 15 March - Date: 1912 - Journal Title: Building News
  3. Article  Reference - Title: 29 March - Date: 1912 - Journal Title: The Builder - Page References: 164 268

National Grid Reference: TQ 02431 45442

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2014 at 09:01:47.