List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1241103

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityHaxey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 440026

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 7699-7799 HAXEY CHURCH STREET (south side)

22/103 Church of St Nicholas 1.3.67

GV I

Parish church. C12 sections to nave arcades with C13 arches and south piers; C13 chancel arch, north chancel arcade, and chancel south wall; C14- C15 tower, aisles, clerestory, porches, and north transeptal chapel. East end of chancel and adjoining chapel rebuilt c1746. Restorations of 1825-7 included rebuilding north chapel and north aisle, moving south porch, repairs to transept, south aisle and clerestory windows. Chancel rebuilt 1853-4. Tower arch re-opened 1865. Restorations of 1895-1903 by H A Prothero included reflooring, reseating, repairs to nave arcades. Unsympathetic repairs of c1986. Limestone ashlar facing throughout, apart from some squared sandstone to south chancel wall, and limestone and mudstone rubble to north chapel north wall. Cement rendering to north chapel north wall. Lead roofs. West tower with 5-bay south aisle, 4-bay north aisle with transeptal chapel (now vestry), north and south porches, 3-bay chancel with 3-bay north chapel and sacristy adjoining north side. Moulded plinth to tower, aisles, north transept; chamfered plinth to chancel, north chapel, sacristy and north porch. 4-stage tower: angle buttresses with moulded offsets rising to diagonal buttresses to belfry; moulded string courses between stages; stair lighting slits to south-west angle. Low first stage: pointed wave-and-hollow moulded west door of 2 orders with hoodmould and worn headstops. Second stage: pointed 3-light west window with moulded reveal, restored Perpendicular tracery, hoodmould. Third stage: pointed chamfered slit light to south, clock face to east. Top stage: pointed 3-light Perpendicular-traceried belfry windows with crenellated transoms and incised spandrels, hoodmoulds, wooden louvres. Moulded string course with gargoyles to centre of each side, coped embattled parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. Aisles have diagonal buttresses and buttresses between bays with offsets, Tudor-arched north and south 3-light windows with trefoiled lights, restored tracery, hollow reveals and hoodmoulds (some windows to north with poor cement repairs of c1986); pointed 3-light west windows with partly restored Perpendicular tracery, hollow reveals, hoodmoulds. Partly restored Tudor-arched 3-light Perpendicular-traceried east window to south aisle. South porch: shallow moulded plinth to front, pointed chamfered arch with hoodmould; tablet above inscribed 1827, with tablets to each side bearing worn inscriptions of churchwardens names (including Wm DARRAND), coped embattled parapet with 3 crocketed pinnacles to gable. Pair of wrought-iron gates of 1827 with plain bars and dogbars with fleur-de-lys finials, and principals with urn finials. Partly restored pointed wave-and-hollow moulded inner arch with studded and panelled oak door, probably early C19. North porch: pointed hollow-chamfered outer arch with hoodmould, pair of wrought-iron gates similar to south porch, partly restored pointed double hollow-chamfered inner arch with hoodmould. North transept: diagonal buttresses with offsets, pointed 3-light Perpendicular-traceried north window similar to aisle west windows, with restored mullions, hoodmould; pointed Tudor-arched 3-light west window similar to aisle windows; chamfered flattened ogee- arched east door with incised spandrels. Aisles and transept have moulded string courses and coped parapets. Clerestory: seven 4-centred-arch 3-light windows to eabh side with cinquefoiled lights, incised spandrels and restored mullions; moulded string course, coped embattled parapet. Chancel: south side has C13 pointed 3-light window with intersecting tracery, hoodmould and single headstop, restored sill with original sill string course below; C19 pointed hollow chamfered door with hoodmould, wrought-iron gate similar to porches; pointed 2-light traceried window with hoodmould and poor C20 cement repairs. Chancel and north chapel east side, in two builds: diagonal buttresses and mid-buttress with offsets, pointed 4-light Perpendicular-traceried window to each side with hoodmould: tablet over chapel window inscribed:

The Rev J Lamb Vicar W DARRAND W PETTINGER Churchwardens MDCCCXXVI

North side of chapel has single C15 pointed 3-light Perpendicular-traceried window with supertransom, hollow reveal and partly restored mullions. Clerestory, chancel and north chapel have moulded string course, coped embattled parapet. Sacristy has square-headed 2-light north window with moulded curvilinear tracery, hoodmould, wrought-iron bars and hinged casement; 4-centred-arch 2-light east window with foiled Y-tracery, hoodmould; moulded string course with central gargoyle to north, coped parapet, chimney adjoining chapel with crenellated octagonal shaft. Interior. Nave has 4-bay north arcade and 5-bay south arcade of C13 pointed double-chamfered arches, with the western bay on both sides separated by a short wall. North arcade: east section has C12 cylindrical piers with scalloped and foliate capitals, square abaci, moulded bases and tall restored plinths; responds with chamfered jambs and inner order on octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and bases; west bay has heavy octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases. South arcade: C13 east section has central octagonal pier and cylindrical piers with octagonal-shaped backs, with moulded capitals and bases on square pedestals (that to east with carved corners); east respond with corbelled inner order (probably capital to former shaft); west respond with keeled shaft to inner order and C12 nook-shaft to north angle with scalloped capital; west bay has similar keeled east respond with C12 nook-shaft, and C14 octagonal west respond similar to north aisle. Tall pointed double-chamfered tower arch with continuous chamfers, the inner one with crenellated capitals; large C19 carved wooden screen to tower; chamfered basket-arched doorway to tower staircase. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with chamfered jambs and corbelled inner order. Outlines of earlier nave roof clearly visible at east and west ends. Pointed double-chamfered arch from north aisle to transept with moulded corbel to south, and head corbel, perhaps restored, to north. Transept has C15 pointed double-chamfered east arch to chapel with continuous outer chamfer and inner order on octagonal responds with crenellated capitals and moulded bases; partly blocked former door to rood loft. Chancel has 3-bay north arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers with plain moulded capitals and bases, responds with chamfered jambs and corbelled inner orders. North chapel has chamfered ogee recess to north with C15 priest effigy. Good C15 10-bay nave roof with moulded cranked tie beams, ridge-purlin and single side-purlins, carved bosses with heads, flowers, shields etc. 6-bay roof to north chapel with ovolo-moulded cranked tie beams and purlins. C19 chancel roof with corbelled wall posts, carved and painted bosses. C15-C16 oak screen to north transept with moulded posts and rails, containing re-set fielded panels from former C18 box pews; fragment of carved rail from former chancel screen is attached to north side. Monuments: small inscribed brasses in nave central aisle to Rev Richard Herring of 1712 and wife Bridget of 1711; mid C18 floorslab in north chapel to Juliana Hoole of 1715 with incised scrolled border and round arch; wall tablets in nave: to Richard and Mary Maw of 1816 with obelisk base, pedestal with arms and urn; to John Taylor of 1835, and Jane Taylor of 1845. Good C15 octagonal font with trefoiled panels to bowl and shaft. C19 ashlar pulpit, C19 commandment tablets in sanctuary in ornate Gothic-style ashlar surrounds. Natte's drawing shows the south porch in the centre of the south aisle, from where it was presumably moved in the C19. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, pp 271-2; W Read, History of the Isle of Axholme, 1858, pp 278-81; Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers, vol 27, pt 1, 1903, p xii; drawing by C Nattes, 1794, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library; photographs in NMR.

Listing NGR: SK7647599835

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Read, W - Title: History of the Isle of Axholme - Date: 1858 - Page References: 278-81
  2. Article  Reference - Author: Markham, C A - Title: Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers - Date: 1903 - Journal Title: Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers - Volume: 27 - Page References: 12
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Harris, J and Antram, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire - Date: 1989 - Page References: 271-2

National Grid Reference: SK 76471 99834

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 03:05:42.