List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

List entry Number: 1240381

Location

CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, CHURCH BANK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Jan-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 438635

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 05 SE CONSETT CHURCH BANK

(South side) Benfieldside 5/28 (inset) Church of St. 6/6/51 Cuthbert (Formerly listed as St Cuthbert's Church) GV II

Parish church. 1849-50 by John Dobson; addition of south aisle, choir vestry and organ 1881-6 by J.W. Walton Wilson; site and £450 given by Thomas Wilson of Shotley Hall, remainder by public subscription. Coursed squared sandstone with plinth, quoins and ashlar dressings; roofs of graduated thick purple slate and Welsh slate, with stone gable copings. Aligned north-south. Aisled nave with ritual north-west porch tower and south-west choir vestry; chancel with north vestry and south organ chamber. Early English style. Tower has drip-string over boarded double doors with elaborate hinges in double-shafted, many-moulded 2-centred arch; slit window and clock above; set-back belfry with high 2-light openings; full-height clasping buttresses with offsets; broach spire on nail- head corbel table has lucarnes and wrought-iron finial. Lancet windows, paired in north aisle under corbel table, triple in east and paired in west fronts, with vesica over central west buttress; large vesica also in south-west vestry; buttresses, 4 on east front; north vestry has projecting stack with offsets and round chimney. Steeply-pitched roof with gable copings on roll-moulded kneelers. Boot-scrapers flank tower door. Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings; arch-braced nave roof on alternate corbels and shafted corbels; scissor-truss chancel roof on corbelled wall-posts. 4-bay arcades have double-chamfered arches on round piers with octagonal plinths and capitals; continuous drip moulds. Many-moulded chancel arch on half-octagonal pilasters and corbelled Frosterley marbel shafts, with capitals recording dates of building and enlargement; head-stopped dripmould over. 2-bay chancel arcade has carved brackets and corbels. West bay has high lancet to choir vestry, and balconied doorway to first tower floor. Glass in south aisle signed by Percy and Bacon bros., ll, Newman Street, London; one medallioned window in memory of Thomas Siddell, veterinary surgeon died 1855 in the Crimean War. Tiled chancel floor, flagged nave floor. Brass foundation plaque dated 1849 names John Dobson architect. Roll-moulded square- ended pews with Roman numerals.



Listing NGR: NZ0928952608

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 09289 52608

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 04:14:37.