List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HANWORTH PARK HOUSE

List entry Number: 1240343

Location

HANWORTH PARK HOUSE, UXBRIDGE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHounslowLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Aug-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 438734

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 4419 UXBRIDGE ROAD, FELTHAM AND HANWORTH

Hanworth Park House TQ 1172 36/420 14.8.53.

II

2. Built by the Duke of St Albans to replace Old Hanworth Park which was burnt down in 1797. (For remains of earlier house see Tudor Court and Tudor Close). 2 storeys and tall basement. Stock brick, 11 French casements to both floors opening on to balcony, flat eaves, central open pediment with bargeboards, hipped slate roof. The balcony is of 2 storeys, 11 bays long built on to a stock brick open segmental arcaded basement of small arches over area, and is brought forward for the centre 3 bays and end 2 bays. Ground floor with paired cast iron columns and iron trellis balustrading and central Portland stone tetrastyle fluted Greek Doric columned portico with frieze end cornice. Approach flight of 17 wide Portland stone steps with plain balustrades and cast iron lamps to base with round cast iron lanterns. Rosette frieze above columns and cornice. 1st floor with cast iron trellis standards and panels, centre with stone piers. Similar rosette frieze above. West elevation has balcony on brackets to ground floor with verandah. Interior is of simple Greek design, somewhat modified. The staircase is of the well type with cast iron balusters and with square central glazed lantern over. Grounds contain few trees. VCH; Pevsner, "The Buildings of England".

Listing NGR: TQ1138972428

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cockburn, J S, King, H P F, McDonnell, K G T, The Victoria History of the County of Middlesex, (1969)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Middlesex, (1951)

National Grid Reference: TQ 11389 72428

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 05:12:50.