List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE KILMOREY MAUSOLEUM (INCLUDING ENCLOSURE WALL, RAILINGS AND GATE)

List entry Number: 1240128

Location

THE KILMOREY MAUSOLEUM (INCLUDING ENCLOSURE WALL, RAILINGS AND GATE), ST MARGARET'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityRichmond upon ThamesLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Oct-1989

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Nov-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 438180

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



22/47/452 ST MARGARET'S ROAD 06-OCT-89 ISLEWORTH (East side) THE KILMOREY MAUSOLEUM (INCLUDING ENCL OSURE WALL, RAILINGS AND GATE) (Formerly listed as: ST MARGARET'S ROAD ISLEWORTH THE KILMOREY MAUSOLEUM (INCLUDING ENCL OSURE WALL, RAILINGS AND GATE))

II*



Mausoleum and enclosure wall with railings and gates. 1854 by Henry Kendall junior (1805-88) for Francis Needham, 2nd Earl of Kilmorey (1787-1880); brought to present location in 1868. Mausoleum of pink and grey granite, with bronze door, roof not visible but part-glazed. Enclosure wall of brick, rendered, with stone coping and piers in the form of pink granite obelisks with incised ornament; cast-iron railings (not complete) and gates. PLAN: The mausoleum, 15 ft square in plan, stands within a walled enclosure, formerly part of the grounds of Gordon House. Octagonal dwarf wall with gateway to east side, in front of door. EXTERIOR: Egyptian style mausoleum. Battered sides, above plinth, of grey granite; beaded decoration to arrises, door surrounds, cavetto cornice all of pink granite. Panels of lotus flower decoration flank the dooors (blind to three sides, and of granite, functioning to east side and of bronze), which are decorated with stars set within squares. Cornice decorated with winged sun-discs with serpents. Roof part-glazed. Enclosure walls with obelisk-shaped piers, decorated with caducei (snake-entwined rods). Stylised acanthus-enriched cast iron railings partially in situ. INTERIOR: unusually elaborate mausoleum interior, lined in pink and grey granite. Two lead-lapped coffins lie on a granite shelf running around three sides of the chamber. Opposite the door is a Neoclassical marble relief by Lawrence Macdonald of Rome (1799-1878) depicting a deathbed scene, with an angel pointing heavenwards. HISTORY: this mausoleum was erected to receive the remains of Priscilla Hoste (1823-1854), mistress of Lord Kilmorey and mother of his son Charles (b.1844). The drawings are signed by Kendall and Pope, architects, of 33 Brunswick Square. Originally erected in Brompton cemetery, the mausoleum was moved first to Woburn Park near Weybridge in c.1862, and thence to its present position in c.1868. A fine example of an Egyptian-style mausoleum, with an unusually good interior, this structure has had a remarkable history of relocation reflecting the affection Lord Kilmorey felt for his mistress, even in death. The mausoleum suffered some damage in the storms of 1987.

SOURCES: A.C.B. Urwin, 'The Second Earl of Kilmorey and his Mausoleum in St Margarets', (Borough of Twickenham Local History Society, paper no. 75, 1997); idem., 'The Story of Gordon, Lacey and St Margaret's Houses' (The Hounslow and District Society, 1974). Original drawings of the mausoleum are in the Public Record Office, ref. WORK 38/46.





Listing NGR: TQ1660974904

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Urwin, A C B , The Story of Gordon Lacey and St Margarets Houses, (1974)

National Grid Reference: TQ 16609 74904

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 08:30:00.