List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GORDON HOUSE MARIA GREY TRAINING COLLEGE

List entry Number: 1240076

Location

GORDON HOUSE, ST MARGARET'S ROAD
MARIA GREY TRAINING COLLEGE, ST MARGARET'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityRichmond upon ThamesLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-May-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Nov-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 438178

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 1675 ISLEWORTH ST MARGARET'S ROAD

32/352 Gordon House (Maria Grey Training College)

21.5.73 II*

Probably circa 1720, altered circa 1865. 2 storeys stock brick with lavish read rubbed brick dressings. 5 windows, sashes, no glazing bars. Central Corinthian columned painted stone staircase with round-headed window over in elaborate stone surround. Stone cornice over. Full height rusticated pilasters with capitals to outer corners of front. Parapet. Slates. C19 chimneys. 2-storey 2 window extension to right, probably C18. Further extension to right 2-storey large canted brick bay, balustrade parapet. Probably late C18. Nearly matching extensions repeated to left of main front, probably C19. River Front - circa 1720. 2 storeys, yellow brick with red dressings. 5 sashes, no glazing bars. Stone cills on brackets. Central 1st floor round-headed window with key block and coved cornice on consoles going right across. Rusticated pilasters at angles with capitals and bases. Panelled parapet. C19 pediment over C19 lower extensions to right. C19 brick porch. 2-storey stock brick part to left, added in 1758 by Robert Adam. 3 sashes. Architrave surrounds and pediments on consoles. No glazing bars. Greek key band. Upper part C19. C19 chimneys. Slate roof. 6 bay extension to right, round-headed window on ground floor. Segmental arch to windows over. Cornice. Heavy oak dentilled cornice to ceiling of upper floor. Interior - main block ground floor. Front part of house, former entrance hall, now divided up into passage and rooms, remains only of original panelling and ceiling cornice. Staircase hall, overlooking river, with very handsome original oak staircase on grand scale on 2 walls, rising to a broad landing round the other two. 2 balusters to each tread, cut strings with panelled ends and panelled soffit. Opening out of staircase hall on river front South West end is the present conference room, designed by Robert Adam as a drawing room for General Bland in 1758. It is probably Robert Adam's earliest surviving work in England and of the finest quality. Long rectangular room surmounted by modillioned cornice from which springs a ceiling with boldly coved sides all elaborately decorated with scroll work and oval panels. Plain oval centre except for central rose. Greek key pattern to border moulding of ceiling. Very fine chimney piece, now painted over. Fine consoles supporting blocks with lion masks. Central frieze with floral swags; centre block with military trophy. Carved wood doorcases consisting of bold quarter round mouldings. The Ionic columned and pedimented doorcases in the Adam drawing do not exist; nor does the upper tier of the chimney piece. No dado; modern skirting. History The house dates from about 1720 and was altered in 1758 by General Bland to the designs of Robert Adam. See drawings reproduced in "Robert Adam and his circle" by John Fleming, 1962, and others in Sir John Soane's Museum. Formerly called Seaton House. It was later purchased by William IV for his daughter, Lady Augusta FitzClarence, wife of Hon John Kennedy Erskine. She subsequently married Lord John Frederick Gordon. It was subsequently owned by T.C. Haliburton (1796-1865) - author of "Sam Slick". (See Dictionary of National Biography) and was bought by the then Lord Kilmorey in 1865 who carried out extensive alterations. Used as a school for the daughters of naval officers, when the chapel was built. Setting In garden on bank of River Thames. Modern training college buildings nearby.

Listing NGR: TQ1669375276

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Fleming, J, Robert Adam and his Circle, (1962)

National Grid Reference: TQ 16693 75276

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 05:33:40.