List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1239466

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, WRAY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Isle of WightUnitary AuthorityRyde

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-May-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 417345

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RYDE

632/7/373 WRAY STREET 18-MAY-72 SWANMORE CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

II*

Also Known As: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, ST MICHAEL'S AVENUE, SWANMORE

Church. 1861/3. Corner site with St Michael's Avenue. By the Reverend William Grey under the architectural supervision of R J Jones. Large ritualistic Church, controversial at the time. Chancel only completed in 1874. Stone rubble with ashlar quoins. Crossing tower. Very high gable end tiled roof. Tall lancets. The tower is square, two round headed belfry lights to each face, angle buttresses. Short transepts with saddle stones and kneelers. Chancel has half hipped roof, buttresses between windows, two to side and three at East end. The interior, by contrast is quite rich. Polychrome brickwork and stone. Aisle piers have stop chamfers and large pointed trefoils, the arches die into them. The crossing archws have short shafts on scalloped brackets. The chancel is vaulted with much Purbeck shafting and an apse. The low pulpit and solid altar rail have trefoiled arcades with painted columns and statues in recessed. Grid gates with quatrefoil panels. South transept chapel with fine painted roof with angels divided into panels by guilded tracery. Carving by Farmer and Brindley; tiles by Maw circa 1865. Stained glass mostly by Lavers and Westlake.

Listing NGR: SZ5876891387

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 58768 91387

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2014 at 06:40:32.