List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DENTAL SURGERY PRIORS HOUSE

List entry Number: 1238517

Location

DENTAL SURGERY, 7A, CHURCH STREET
PRIORS HOUSE, 7, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityWincanton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 415959

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST7128 WINCANTON CP CHURCH STREET (South side)

8/130 No 7 (Priors House) and No 7A (Dental Surgery)

24.3.61

GV II*

House, partly modifield to form shop & surgery. C15. Local stone rubble, rendered on North elevation, with ashlar dressings; plain clay tiled roof, plain gables, but C20 gable on North elevation has bargeboards; brick chimney stacks. 'L'-plan. North elevation 2 storeys 2 bays: bay 1 of C1920, with 3-light shop window and fascia over, with large casement window projecting into gable; bays 2 and 4 have C20 entrance, bay 3 a 3-light shop window; above, bays 2 3 and 4 have 12-pane sash windows; to right open pitched clay pantile roof forming covered way. To rear, No 7A has casement windows and a Cl9 6-flush-panel door under segmental hood on brackets. No 7 has a long return Southwards; in the West elevation of 6 bays, bay 1 has 2-light mullioned window with C15 tracery, no label, and on return 2 lights visible of what may have been a larger window, with cusped instead of plain arched lights otherwise a mixture of sash and casement windows. Internally the shop, formerly the medieval solar, rather plain, but a blocked window to former spiral stair in South East corner and 4-centre moulded arch to stairway in South West corner: above good flat-headed moulded fireplace, with arch-braced true cruck roof. The surgery, the medieval hall, has fine ceiling with heavily moulded beams and panels; above roof with variety of archbraced trusses; possibly crucks; several features in rear wing including winding stone stairs with medieval window. (For highly detailed description of features see VAG report, SRO unpublished, 1975). In 1558 the property known as Rousewell House; 1789 as The Parsonage, and in early C20 as Devonshire House; some building works to 7A recorded in 1803, and the extensions Southwards to No 7 were in 1855. (Sweetman, G, History of Wincanton, cl904).

Listing NGR: ST7124228567

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Sweetman, G, History of Wincanton, (1903)
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in Vernacular Architecture Group Report, (1975)

National Grid Reference: ST 71247 28574

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 03:04:01.