List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1237437

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, SUSSEX GARDENS W2

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCity of WestminsterLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 428698

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2680 NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER SUSSEX GARDENS, W2 65/8 25.9.51 Church of St. James GV II* Church. 1881 by G.E. Street, with west chapel (formerly chancel) of 1841-3 by Goldicutt and Gutch. Church oriented with chancel to west. Decorated style. Yellow brick. Knapped flints and stone dressings. 4-bay nave, clerestory, lower chancel. 2 stage tower to east with spire recessed behind quatrefoil parapet, corner pinnacles with flying buttresses; and 5-light window to base. 3-light windows to aisles, with flowing tracery; set in knapped flint walls. Clerestory with paired 2-light traceried windows. Interior: 2-bay chancel with 7-light flowing traceried east window, and timber tierceron vaulting. 3 oculi above chancel arch. Nave with cloistered piers to pointed nave arcade; coved roof to nave adorned with figures of angels; marble cladding to spandrels of arcade and to aisle walls. South east (liturgical) chapel with central timber column. Victorian stained glass to rest of windows. Marble font, pulpit and inlaid reredos. London Vol II, N Pevsner.

Listing NGR: TQ2663280923

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Bridget, C and Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: London 2: South - Date: 1994

National Grid Reference: TQ 26632 80923

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 08:16:28.