List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA

List entry Number: 1237037

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireEast HampshireDistrict AuthorityColemore and Priors Dean

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jul-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 143133

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLEMORE & PRIORS DEAN COLEMORE SU 73 SW 4/1 Church of St Peter ad Vincula (formerly listed as 'Church of 16.3.54 St Peter') GV II* Parish church. c11, C12, C17, restorations of 1874 and 1975. Flint and rubble stone walls, almost entirely covered in cement render, stone buttresses (1612 and 1874): windows mainly Victorian cusped lancets, but a small Norman window in the Transept, a small late C12 lancet and a larger C13 lancet, with west window being coupled lancets beneath a quatrefoil, triple lancets at the east end. Plain roof, hipped above the transept, with a higher ridge above the end, ending with a bell turret (1866) with a broach spire. Single cell church, with a north transept (and Norman arch), south porch (1874), the east end having been refaced in 1874, and the west end raised to form a belfry in 1612 (rebuilt 1866). Plain interior: piscinas to chapel and transept, which has a small slype, remains of a rood stair, easter sepulchre (restored), C15 wood screen, C17 nave roof, anda Purbeck C12 font (a panelled square on drum and corner columns). There are wall monuments of 1692, 1748 and 1814, floor slabs, a floor brass of 1718, and 2 old bells (of 1380 and 1627) hung in the nave.

Listing NGR: SU7066030801

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 70600 30762

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2014 at 09:12:20.