List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER CONVENT OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1236611

Location

FORMER CONVENT OF ST PETER, MAYBURY HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyWokingDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Jan-1984

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Dec-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 427642

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:- TQ 05 NW WOKING MAYBURY HILL

6/90 Convent of St Peter

II

The entry shall be amended to read:- TQ 05 NW WOKING MAYBURY HILL 6/90A Former Convent of St Peter

II

Former convent. 1883-9 by J L Pearson in a free Perpendicular style. Red brick, stone dressings; plain tile roofs with diagonal brick stacks. 3 storeys, a symmetrical buttressed front of 14 bays with stone dressed windows, some mullioned, others traceried. Salient features are square bay windows on three floors to the left, central battlemented porte cochere with arched and studded plank door behind; 4 stage tower (top 2 stages restored) with stone arcaded crowning stage having a clock in all four faces. Four bays set back to the right with a three-bay cross-wing break to the right-hand end. The right-hand return front is in a similar style, having a round porch with a central pier and pointed arches either side. The former convent forms a group with the Chapel. Source: Anthony Quin-ey. John Longhborough Pearson, 1979.

------------------------------------

TQ 05NW BOROUGH OF WOKING MAYBURY HILL

6/90 Convent of St. Peter

II Convent, now convalescent home for the elderly. 1898-1908 by J.L. and F.L. Pearson in a free Perpendicular style. Red brick, stone dressings; plain tile roofs with diagonal brick stacks. 3 storeys, asymmetrical buttressed front of 14 bays with stone dressed windows, some mullioned, others tracerised. Salient features are: Square bay windows on 3 floors to the left, central battlemented porte cochere with arched and studded plank door behind; 4 stage tower (top 2 stages restored) with stone arcaded crowning stage having a clock in all four faces. Four bays set back to the right with a three bay cross wing break to the right hand end. The right hand return front is in a similar style, having a round porch with a central pier and pointed arches either side; Chapel to the rear.

Interior: Chapel crypt, 5 bays, round pier arcades, Byzantine style mosaics to the east end. Chapel choir of 4 bays, round pier arcades and stone rib vaulting above, east end with 3 apsidal lobes rising up from the crypt, Chapel to the north side of 4 bays with wooden barrel vault roof. Chapel nave of 3 bays with corbelled stone gallery at west end over door, ambulatory runs around whole Chapel. Fittings include late C19 priests chairs and marble altar canopy with red multiple shaft columns supporting carved and crocketed trefoil hood canopy.

Listing NGR: TQ0194658891

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Quiney, A, John Loughborough Pearson, (1979)

National Grid Reference: TQ 01946 58891

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 03:44:08.