List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PUDDINGTON HALL PUDDINGTON HALL WEST

List entry Number: 1236610

Location

PUDDINGTON HALL WEST, PUDDINGTON LANE
PUDDINGTON HALL, PUDDINGTON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityPuddington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 351186

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 37 SW PUDDINGTON PUDDINGTON LANE

548-/3/10000 Puddington Hall and Puddington Hall West

II

Country house, now divided into two houses, 1872-4 for Sir Rowland Stanley Errington Bart., altered circa 1904, architects not yet identified; the 1872-4 building of squared, snecked and coursed red sandstone, the 1904 portions pebbledash and timber framing with plaster panels; graded stone- slate roofs. Two storeys and attics of five stone bays, plus a partly pebbledashed bay, west. The entrance front, north has crenellated centre range with entrance between canted two-storey bays, flanked by gabled projecting end-bays with canted corners; a further short bay, right, has stone lower storey and pebbledash above. Plinth; boarded oak door with two stone steps, wrought iron studs and hinges and a leaded light to each side; a perhaps added flat oak-faced roof to porch. A mullioned and transomed 5-light casement in left bay, with leaded upper lights; a leaded 2-light mullioned casement in each canted bay and an overlight above porch roof; a cross-casement near each side of right projecting bay and a 1- light transomed leaded light in each canted face; the far-right bay is blank. First floor stringcourse to projecting bays; upper storey windows leaded; a mullioned and transomed 5-light casement with label in left bay; a 1-light casement in outer face of each canted bay and a mullioned 2- light casement to front and inner face; a 2-light mullioned casement near each edge of right projecting bay and a 1-light casement in each canted face. Stringcourse beneath parapet and moulded caps to merlons over central range; central gabled dormer set back; the gables to the projecting bays have kneelers, three ball finials and moulded copings; the inner return of the left bay has a leaded first-floor light; the return of right bay has a leaded cross-casement to ground floor and a 2-light mullioned casement to first floor.

The ground floor of the ends and the garden face, south, are stone, probably contemporary with the front, but the west end may have been foreshortened. The left end of two bays has a 4-light mullioned and transomed window to each bay; the upper storey of the right bay is stone, the left bay pebbledashed with a leaded cross-casement and 3-light mullioned and transomed casement; an ornate small-framed gable. The garden face has a three-gabled projection, left, with mullioned and transomed casements of 4,5 and 4 lights and a canted 2-storey bay, right, with a cross-casement to each face; a simple veranda between the projections. The upper storey of the left projection is ornately timber- framed, the rest pebble-dashed; leaded casements standing proud of wall- face; timber-framed gables to each projection; bargeboards with drop- finials; six plinthed stone chimneys. Interior:-

Puddington Hall could not be inspected internally, but the following features probably of circa 1872-4 could be seen: oak board floor to hall; substantial open-well newel stair of oak; pilastered basket-arch to lobby; exposed joists; south-east room with strapwork ceiling, fireplace with entablature on slender fluted columns; rail, frieze and cornice to ceiling. The south-west room has pilaster fireplace.

The Hall West has oak doors with butted moulded rails, stiles and muntins, of seven panels; some oak-board floors; modillion cornice to one room; lounge with oak fireplace surround and ceiling cornice; five-flight open- well stair to first and second floors; three classical fire surrounds on first floor and a tiled fireplace on second floor.

The sandstone building of 1872-4 is of pleasing and consistent character; the early C20 alterations have no visible external features of individually great interest.

Comparison of Ordnance Survey large-scale maps surveyed or revised in 1872, 1897 and 1909 suggest that the building is still basically of the form it had in 1897, possibly with some foreshortening of the west end. The previous Hall on a different site was destroyed by fire circa 1860; the Hall, incorporating both present houses, had been built before 1874, according to Morris's Directory of Cheshire of that date.

Listing NGR: SJ3297673245

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Morris Directory' in Cheshire, (1874)

National Grid Reference: SJ 32976 73245

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 03:12:38.