List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GUILDHALL

List entry Number: 1236337

Location

GUILDHALL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityAndover

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 139514

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 3645 NW ANDOVER HIGH STREET 4/56 Guildhall 24.2.50 II* Formerly Town Hall, 1825. A successor to a guildhall of 1725 to 1825, of similar form. A Greek Doric stone building, almost a cube, with 4 symmetrical elevations, a typical English Renaissance design, of a tall room above an open arcaded ground floor (now enclosed). The front (south) is of 1.3.1 bays. Blocking course above a Doric cornice, with omutile boxes, continuous frieze (without triglyphs) and continuous guttee below a tenia, plain architrave (with circular decorations above the columns); the central pediment encloses a circular opening containing a clock; 4 fluted Doric columns (3/4 attached) stand on the projected centrepiece, the wings terminating in parallel-sided pilasters. With a continuous base moulding. First floor band (continued into keystones), rusticated ground floor of 4 bands above an impost band then 5 bands above a (granite) plinth. Sashes in reveals to the upper floor, half-glazed filling of later date to the ground floor openings. The north elevation has a plainer upper part and fanlights within the arcade but the centre 3 bays of the ground floor project forward, with a pediment and central entrance. The side elevations (east and west) are the same, of 5 bays, having a regular pilaster treatment to the upper floor. Low-pitched hipped slate roof (unseen). Within the north side entrance leads to a lobby, with staircases on each side leading upwards through an apse with 2 niches to an upper lobby from which a single flight reaches the upper hall. [There was once a central clock tower].

Listing NGR: SU3647045523

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 36471 45528

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 05:28:14.