List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1236096

Location

CHURCH OF ST PAUL, MANSFIELD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NottinghamshireGedlingDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 425299

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GEDLING MANSFIELD ROAD SK 54 NE Daybrook (east side) 4/56 Church of St. Paul G.V. II* Parish church. 1892-6, designed by J. L. Pearson and paid for by Sir Charles Seely. Coursed and squared rubble with plain tile roofs. Ashlar dressings. C13 Geometrical and C14 styles. Chamfered and moulded plinths, sill bands, string courses and eaves bands. Billeted corbel table. Coped gables, some with gabled kneelers and crosses. Single side wall stack. Windows are Geometrical lancets with hood moulds, mostly linked. All except clerestorey and vestries have stained glass by Clayton and Bell. South west tower, nave, north and south aisles, north porch, chancel, north chapel, north transept, vestries, lady chapel. South west tower, 3 stages, has 3 pairs of setback buttresses and to north west, canted stair turret. First stage has to south, traceried panel containing moulded doorway with crocketed finial. Above, 3 lancets East and west sides have a double lancet. Second stage has recessed panels with corbel tables, each with 2 round windows. To west, ornate bracket clock. Third stage has on each side 2 double lancets with crocketed gables, separated by pilaster with gabled niche and figure. Above, octagonal broach spire with 4 spired pinnacles and cross finial. 4 gabled double lancet lucarnes. Nave west end has 2 gabled flanking buttresses, each with niche containing figure. 6 light lancet with Y tracery. Gable has 8 stepped gabled niches with brackets for figures. Clerestorey, 4 bays, has on each side 3 buttresses and 4 quadruple lancets. East end has gabled bell turret with 2 openings. Buttressed north and south aisles have coped parapets and gables. Each has 3 double lancets. North aisle west end has 5 light lancet and diagonal buttress. North porch has 2 pairs of corner buttresses. Moulded doorway with clustered filleted shafts. On each side, 2 small double lancets. Interior has stone benches, principal rafter roof and cove moulded doorway with shafts. Chancel north side has to east, 2 triple lancets. East end has 2 flanking buttresses and 7 light lancet with Y tracery. Lean-to north chapel has triple lancet at east end. North transept and organ chamber has to north, a lancet and above, double lancet. L-plan vestry has to west, double lancet and to north, triple lancet with segmental head. To east, a similar quadruple lancet. In return angle, a doorway. Parapeted Lady Chapel has single buttress to west. East end has triple lancet. South side has 3 double lancets. Vaulted south porch, below tower, has moulded ribs and corner shafts. Stone benches. Moulded inner doorway with shafts. Nave has 4 bay arcades with round piers, each with 4 ringed shafts. Lobed capitals. Octagonal and round responds. Chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds. Continuous sill band. Arch braced principal rafter roof with traceried panelled gables. North and south aisles have lean-to roofs with traceried arch braces. Chancel has moulded arch with hood mould and clustered ringed shafts. Dwarf wall carrying traceried iron screen with pair of gates. Sill band. Panelled vaulted ceiling. North side has to left, tall shafted opening containing traceried iron screen and organ. To its right, opening with iron screen. To right again, C14 style cusped tomb recess with crocketed gable, containing chest tomb and effigy of Emily Seely, 1894, by Brock. East end has blind arcading and central alabaster gradine and reredos, C14 style, with crocketed canopy and figures. South side has 3 bay arcade with clustered shafts and iron screens. East bay has C14 style piscina and sedilia with crocketed gabled canopies. North chapel has pair of iron gates. Lady Chapel has panelled barrel vaulted ceiling and sill band. Fittings include octagonal font with traceried panelled bowl, and matching pulpit with traceried figure panels. Brass eagle lectern. 4 altar posts and hangings, with angel finials, 1936. Monuments include moulded wooden War Memorial tablet with crucifix, 1919.

Listing NGR: SK5796645158

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 57966 45158

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 11:24:32.