List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STEMBRIDGE MILL

List entry Number: 1235260

Location

STEMBRIDGE MILL, WINDMILL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityHigh Ham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263124

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HIGH HAM CP WINDMILL ROAD (South side) ST43SW EAST FIELD 2/59 Stembridge Mill - II* -

Windmill. 1822. Local lias stone roughly coursed; shaped thatched roof with plain gable over weatherboarded superstructure; wood sail frames. Circular plan. On north side, boarded door in heavy frame, up 4 steps, with a lower door in east face and a smaller door on south face; small casement windows on east side. Former bakery building to rear. Inside, four floors, and incomplete gear which once drove two pairs of stones: fireplace in lowest floor, the flue carried in wall to an outlet just below the cap. The mill stopped working by wind in 1897, and steam power was introduced; the drive shaft and gears are still in place; the French stones have balance weight pockets let into plaster backs, patented by Clark and Dunham in 1859. On the meal floor, below the stone floor, is a wire machine for dressing flour. The only surviving windmill in Somerset, it is the only thatched mill left in England. Acquired by National Trust in 1969, partly restored by them, further work in hand October 1984 (Watts, M: Somerset Windmills, Agraphicus, 1975; Couthard A J and Watts M, Windmills of Somerset and the men who worked them, - 1978).

Listing NGR: ST4328230517

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Coulthard, AJ and Watts, M - Title: Windmills of Somerset and the men who worked them - Date: 1978
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Watts, M - Title: Somerset Windmills - Date: 1975

National Grid Reference: ST 43282 30517

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 01:18:14.