List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1234822

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityBatcombe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 268216

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BATCOMBE CP ST6939 BATCOMBE VILLAGE 13/10 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 2.6.61 GV I

Anglican parish church. Mainly C15, C16, restored C19. Rubble and ashlar, freestone dressings, tile and lead-sheeting roofs. Nave, chancel, N. and S. aisles, S. porch, N. vestry, W. tower. Perpendicular. Lofty 3-stage tower with set-back buttresses terminating on third stage as pinnacles, shaft clasped between the buttresses, terminating as pinnacle; pierced parapet, gargoyles, tall double-transoned 3-light bell-chamber openings, lower halves virtually blank, upper halves with stone quatrefoil grilles, flanking shafts and shafts betwen the openings, polygonal stair-turret to N., to S. 2 crocketted niches for statuary; enriched W. face with a 4-light window divided into 2-plus-2 sub-arches, W. doorway with leaf spandrels, string over with 3 decapitated angel figures; niche with figure with 6 attendant angels; S. side with C18 monument at base; clock on 2 faces with Roman numerals. Four bay nave with a clerestory, pierced parapet, pinnacles, gargoyles, 3-light windows with depressed-arch heads. Four bay S. aisle, 2 windows to S. of 4-lights with square heads, pierced parapet, buttresses, W. window of 3-lights with a pointed-arch head, below it a C18 monument. Gabled porch with a stone-tiled roof dated 1629, slender buttresses, those to front with crocketted finials, label with strapwork ornamentation, depressed-arch opening with foliate spandrels, paired C18 panelled doors; achievement and encircling text to gable face. Further similar achievement to left of door opening. Four bay N. aisle with pierced parapet, buttresses, pinnacles, 3-light windows, at E. end polygonal stair-turret. Two bay chancel, two 2-light square-headed windows to S., C17(?) 3-light mullioned and transomed E. window, traces of the jambs of the earlier window, below a C18 memorial. Large C20 vestry. Interior predominantly plastered on flagstone floors. Nave with low-pitched tie-beam roof, C18, large angel corbels of a former roof also retrain. Aisles with lean-to roofs with moulded ribs and bosses, to N. with corbels carved as angels. Chancel with simple C19 roof. Tower with fan-vault. Four bay aisle arcades with piers of 4-hollows section; chancel arch in conforming style; lofty panelled tower arch. Chancel with cusped C13 piscina. Hagioscopes. Upper and lower entrances to the rood. In N. aisle near the E. end 2 low cusped ogee-headed recesses. Richly carved octagonal font, Perpendicular trough much restored. A second font also present, C15, octagonal with simple quatrefoil panels. Chest dated 1683. Laudian altar rails. C19 brass lectern. Good set of pews of 1960. Many memorials, some in the form of medieval wall paintings, presently covered. Four C18 wall monuments by T. King of Bath, Ford of Bath, and Reeves and Son; C17 brass to Bisse family; C17 monument to Bisse family, probably c1640 with strapwork cresting. C19 wall monuments. C18 oil painting, The Nativity. Brass candelabra, donated 1737. At the E. end of the S. aisle a stained glass window of c1896, by Heaton, Butler and Bayne; E. window by A.K. Nicholson of 1930. (Persner N., Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, l958; Photographs in NMR; SANHS proceedings, 24; 44; 53; 55; Illustrated J, Buckler 1829 and W.W. Wheatley 1842).



Listing NGR: ST6901339030

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, , Vol. 24, ()
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, , Vol. 24, ()
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, , Vol. 24, ()
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, , Vol. 24, ()

National Grid Reference: ST 69013 39030

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 10:55:49.