List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER GAS RETORT HOUSE, RETORT HOUSE EXTENSION TO SOUTH WEST AND ATTACHED STORE

List entry Number: 1234330

Location

FORMER GAS RETORT HOUSE, RETORT HOUSE EXTENSION TO SOUTH WEST AND ATTACHED STORE, 39, BERKLEY STREET
FORMER GAS RETORT HOUSE, RETORT HOUSE EXTENSION TO SOUTH WEST AND ATTACHED STORE, 39, GAS STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BirminghamMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Jun-1993

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Jan-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 410202

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 0686 NW 32/10036

BIRMINGHAM GAS STREET (south west side) Number 39 Former Gas Retort House, retort house extension to south-west and attached store

(Formerly listed as Former Gas Retort House)

30.6.93

II*

Former gas retort house, retort house extension and attached store, now workshops, empty at the time of the inspection. 1822, for the Birmingham Gas Light and Coke Company, retort house extension with attached store 1828. Part of one of the earliest provincial gas works. Altered late C19 and in C20. Red brick beneath a corrugated iron roof covering, carved on a roof structure of cast iron roof trusses, linked by transverse and longtitudinal wrought iron tie rods. L-shaped plan now much modified internally, with narrow frontage to Gas Street. North-east elevation; rendered and painted facade, with blind recess to north-west beneath elliptical arch, and tall double doorway to south-east with flat head. Shallow parapet above moulded cornice band conceals roof hip. Side walls substantially artexed, south west sidewall originally substantially an open arcade, supported by slender cast iron columns, three of which survive, incorporated in later back infilling, which contains blocked semi- circular headed arches. North west side wall with three blocked doorways and a semi-circular headed window north west end of cross range with C20 openings. Interior main range of 11 structural bays and a five bay cross range extending north westwards. 2 piece cast-iron trusses, bolted together to form a 35 foot span the outer ends supported on flat cast-iron plates set within the brick walling or mounted on the tops of the cast-iron columns. Diagonal lattice work web links inclined upper members to segmentally arched soffit. The trusses are linked longtitudinally by a cruciform section central purlin bolted to the central lap joints of the trusses. Modified truss castings are used for the hipped ends, and, at the junction of the two ranges, a large diagonal truss spans the diagonal angle. Horizontal wrought-iron tensioned tie rods link truss feet. Inclined upper face of trusses notched or toothed to accept metal roof lathes which were wedged in position, and to which the original roofing slates were attached. Extension to retort house at south-west end of 5 bays with 4 cast-iron trusses of slightly modified design, mounted on cast-iron wall plates. To the north side of the extension was added a 5-bay single storeyed building, thought to have been a coal store. The roof is carried on 4 stutted queen-post trusses supported on brick sidewall piers The queen posts extended above the line of the original roof covering and appear to have carried a louvre. History: The former Gas Street gas works was established in 1818, the retort house being the only survivor of the complex for which the consultant engineer was Samuel Cleg (1781-1861), the first specialist gas engineer. The innovative metal roof structure is now a rare example of the early advances in metal roof design made in the early C19. This example is a combination of wrought and cast-iron constructional techniques, designed to prevent the internal thrust of the trusses being transmitted to the side walls, an important factor on the design of a roof which had to withstand the high temperatures generated in the gas making process. The components for the roof structure are thought to have been produced in the Phoenix Foundry, Snowhill, Birmingham. Empty at the time of inspection. Former Gas Works, Gas Street, Birmingham. RCHM 1993.





Listing NGR: SP0624686513

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 06246 86513

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2014 at 07:15:50.