List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1233912

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, BULWICK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityLaxton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 409513

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LAXTON BULWICK ROAD SP99NE (West side) 4/153 Church of All Saints 23/05/67 (Formerly listed as All Saints Church) GV II* Church. C12, C13 dated 1659, chancel rebuilt, north aisle added and church restored about 1865 to designs of Lord Carbery. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar dressings and spire. Lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of 2-light windows; window to right is C14 reset, the other is similar C19. Priest door, between windows, has single-chamfered arch-head. 2-stage angle buttress at corner. Gabled roof with Collyweston slates and ashlar gable parapets and finial. C19 cast iron gutter with cast iron gargoyle, to right. C19 three-light east window with roundel and mouchettes. Flanking 2-stage buttresses. Bulls-head above window is mid C19, carved by Lord Carbery. North elevation of chancel is similar to south elevation with a 2-window range of C19 windows. Evidence of re-fenestratian between windows. Cl9 cast iron gutter, with gargoyle to left. South aisle of 3 bays, 2-window range. C19 three-light windows to centre and right, one has Perpendicular style tracery, the other Decorated style tracery. 2-stage buttresses between windows and to corners. Centre buttress has datestone 1659 on return. Lean-to roof with plain parapet. C19, two-light east and west windows. C19 chimney to south-west corner. Gabled porch with C19 double-chamfered outer doorway. Inner doorway has one order of C12 shafts with capitals decorated with volutes. C19 stepped and moulded arch over doorway. North aisle of 3-window range of C19 three-light windows similar to south aisle. 2-stage buttresses between windows and at corners. Lean-to roof with plain parapet. Cl9 cast iron gargoyle to left of centre. C19 two-light east window and C14 two-light west window with panel tracery. C19 cast iron gargoyle to left of window. Central gabled eared dormers with 2-light square-head windows to centre of each side of nave roof. Gabled roof with Collyweston slates. Late C13 west tower of 3 unbuttressed stages. 2-light west window in lower stage. Slit window in north face of second stage, 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage have central shafts and cinquefoil circles above. Broach spire rises from simple corbel table. 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade of double-chamfered arches with quatrefoil piers and cluster shaft responds. South arcade is late C13 and north arcade is C19. C19 stepped and chartered chancel arch with flat, chamfered, responds. Double chamfered tower arch with corbelled responds. Cl9 roof structures. Reset trefoil head piscina to right of altar. Pulpit with large scroll supports in early C18 style was carved by Lord Carbery mid C19. C19 octagonal font. Monuments: Thomas Phillips, d.1661; small wreathed wall plaque in south aisle with blank device above. Late C18 and early C19 flour tablets to Carbery family in chancel. George Freke Evens, d.1829; similar floor tablet. William Charles Eighth Baron Carbery, d.1894; marble plaque to north wail of chancel explaining his restoration of the church. Late C18 wall tablet to north wall of chancel. Lord Carbery of Laxton Hall was an amateur carver who prepared designs for the mid/late C19 works to the church. There are several blank corbel blocks in the church which he may have intended to carve himself. (Buildings of England; Northamptonshire: p289; RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p107)

Listing NGR: SP9505596011

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire - Date: 1984 - Page References: 107
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1961 - Page References: 289

National Grid Reference: SP 95055 96011

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 07:19:09.