List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TENNIS COURT AT COMBE ABBEY

List entry Number: 1233658

Location

TENNIS COURT AT COMBE ABBEY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireRugbyDistrict AuthorityCombe Fields

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jul-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 409211

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP47NW COMBE FIELDS COMBE ABBEY 1641-0/6/10003 Tennis Court at Combe Abbey

24/07/92 GV II*

Former tennis court. c1820 or possibly earlier C19. Red brick (one end wall rendered) with Welsh slate hipped roof. High single storey. Later entrance doors in rendered wall with C20 sliding doors on long wall to left. On both long walls are recessed blank panels with gauged brick flat arches. Above running full length are horizontal sliding sash windows, with glazing bars, cantilevered out and forming galleries. Blocked windows and C20door on rear wall. INTERIOR: The walls are lined in slate, possibly from Lord Penrhyn's quarry at Penrhyn, where Benjamin Wyatt was agent. Samuel Wyatt used slate in this way, which he called 'patent slating'. It is therefore thought that the Wyatts might have designed this tennis court. The penthouses have been demolished but the tambour remains. Roof has C20 suspended ceiling but is reported as being of queen-post type, cross-strutted, and of pine. A plan of 1811 shows a rectangular structure on this site though with different proportions. Noel and Clarke state that it was completed about 1820 and that it was one of the first glazed in England.

Listing NGR: SP4038079808

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 42 Warwickshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: SP 40381 79810

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2014 at 10:19:40.