List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1233440

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireRugbyDistrict AuthorityClifton upon Dunsmore

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 408942

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLIFTON UPON DUNSMORE CHURCH STREET SP57NW (East side) 8/27 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 06/10/60 GV II* Church. C13 with C15 alterations, and restored late C19. Coursed sandstone rubble with some re-used tiles inset in chancel walls. Lead roof to nave and aisles, plain-tile roof to chancel and porch. Nave with aisles, chancel and west tower. South wall of chancel has two C13 paired lancets with a single C19 lancet to right, and round headed door to centre right. Single lancet to north wall east window. East end of roof has coped gable. South aisle of 4 bays is C13 with two C13 Y-tracery windows, restored C19. Window to right is C14 with curvilinear tracery, restored C19. East and west walls of aisle have C13 windows of 3 lights. C13 hollow-chamfered doorway and C19 wood porch. North aisle is of 4 bays with C19 vestry to left. C13 Y-tracery windows to north and west. Restored C15 and C19 windows to north and east. C13 moulded door to right has pointed arch and hood mould with label stops. Vestry door to centre left is chamfered with hood mould. C15 clerestory has four 2-light square-headed windows to either side. Aisles are buttressed and roofs to nave and aisles have coped gables. Tower is of 2 stages: the first of c.1300 and has restored window to west of intersecting tracery with carved quadruped below a small traceried opening. Small single-light to stair projection to south. Second stage is C16 with three 2-light square headed openings, and clock face to south. String course to first and second stage, and battlements to roof. The nave and aisles rest upon a moulded plinth. Interior: chancel, much restored C19, has earlier piscina to south. Chancel arch is c19 in Early English style. C15 4-bay nave arcades with double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers. C19 roof rests upon C15 carved corbel heads. Piscina in south aisle is C14. Vestry door in north aisle, and aisle roofs are C19. Pews, choir stalls, pulpit and panelling in chancel are C19, as is stained glass. memorial in north aisle is dated 1776. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.234).

Listing NGR: SP5312876404

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 234

National Grid Reference: SP 53128 76404

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 02:42:47.