List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1233438

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireRugbyDistrict AuthorityChurchover

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 408940

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCHOVER CHURCH STREET SP58SW (West side) 4/25 Church of Holy Trinity 16/10/60 GV II* Church. C15 with C12 origins, but mostly rebuilt 1896 by Basset Smith. C15 tower, spire rebuilt C19. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and C20 tile roof. Chancel and aisled nave with west tower and south porch and vestry. Apsidal chancel demolished, chancel (without apse) rebuilt C19. Early English style door to south. 3-light window to east. Decorated style windows to north and south. Vestry attached to south aisle. Nave of 3 bays with C19 two-light windows to north and south aisles. C14 two-light window to east of north aisle. C19 plank door within C13 pointed doorway of 2 orders of shafts with chamfered surrounds and head-mould with label stops. C19 porch with Early English style doorway. Buttresses to walls and angles of nave and chancel. Gables are coped. C15 west tower of 3 stages. Plinth and angle buttresses up to third stage. 3-light cusped window to west of first stage with chamfered surround. One square-headed light to west, north and east of second stage. C15 two-light cusped square-headed windows to 4 sides of third stage. C16 parapet to third stage. C15 hexagonal spire, the top rebuilt C19. Interior: Original C15 south arcade remains. 3 bays of polygonal piers with responds to east and west. Hood-mould has C15 label stops of carved heads. Triple chamfered tower arch. Norman font to centre of nave with carved polygonal cover dated 1673. Norman capital of stylised foliage reset in west wall of south aisle. C13 tomb slab reset below. In west wall of south aisle alabaster monument to William Price, his wife and her parents erected 1595. Both couples kneel facing each other over prayer desks. 3 corinthian columns support an entablature supporting coats of arms and putti heads. An inscription reads "AVOET PARENTI BENE MERENTIBUS WILLIMUS PRICEUS EQ. AVRAT H.M.L.L.P.". In west wall of north aisle a marble monument to Charles Dixwell of Coton and Abigail his wife, erected 1641. Corinthian columns support an entablature. Charles and his wife kneel facing each other in an aspect of prayer. The demi-figures of their sons and daughter pray below. C18 wall monument in north wall of chancel. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire p.232)

Listing NGR: SP5104480811

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 232

National Grid Reference: SP 51044 80811

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 02:57:23.