List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1233313

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary AuthorityWolsingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 408796

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOLSINGHAM THORNLEY NZ 13 NW 23/394 Church of St. Bartholomew

GV II

Parish church. Nave c.1840; chancel later C19; tower 1891. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs with stone gable copings. 3-bay nave with south-west tower; 3-bay chancel. 4-centred-arched surround to tower door with linenfold panelling under stepped drip-string. Second stage has paired louvred belfry openings with Tudor heads in square surround. Diagonal buttresses; battlemented parapet on string with Tudor flowers and corner gargoyles; slender octagonal spire has paired louvred opening in lower part and iron cross finial. Sundial between nave lancets; lower chancel has 2-light Decorated windows in bays defined by buttresses, and diagonal east buttresses. 3-light Decorated east window. Roofs have block kneelers to copings; stone cross finials; west bellcote.

Interior: plaster; ashlar chancel arch; king post nave roof ceiled above collar beams; cusped scissor-truss chancel roof. Double-chamfered 2-centred chancel arch with filleted shafts and head-stopped drip mould. 3 steps up to chancel and one to sanctuary. Filleted east sill string forms reredos cornice; brass strip above has Gothic-lettered inscription commemorating Rev. J. Elliot, died 1855. Cusped 2-centred-arched aumbry and sedilia with ball-flower stopped drip moulds. Gothic-arcaded stone communion rail has Frosterley marble shafts. C17 Frosterley marble font, on water-leaf base, probably originally from Wolsingham parish church. Mid C19 glass in strong primary colours in west, east and some chancel windows.

Listing NGR: NZ1161037148

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 11610 37148

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 01:25:43.