List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CAMS HALL

List entry Number: 1232890

Location

CAMS HALL, PORTCHESTER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireFarehamDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Dec-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 408273

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:-

SU 50 NE PORTCHESTER ROAD (south side) Fareham 21/321 Cams Hall 18.10.55

GV II*

The entry shall be amended to read:-

SU 50 NE FAREHAM PORTCHESTER ROAD (south side, off)

21/321 Cams Hall

18.10.55

GV II*

Country Mansion. late C17, in 2 phases; added to C18; added to and altered 1781 for the Delme family by Jacob Laroux; further alterations C19. Red brick with ashlar dressings, part formerly faced with Roman cement; some ashlar. Former slate roof, removed at time of inspection. Plan: originally 2 parallel ranges with wings added on south side to form U-shaped plan (open on south side); in C18 addition to east side; reordered in 1781 to provide 2 courtyards in north range and central bow added to south elevation; courtyards roofed over in C19. North (entrance) elevation: central portion of ashlar, 3 storeys, 7 bays; lower side wings, formerly faced in Roman cement, of one tall storey and 3 wide bays. Centre: string courses above ground floor; cornice and parapet. The 3 central bays are flanked by rusticated pilasters with the windows recessed in round- headed arcading forming a podium on which stand engaged Ionic columns rising through the first and second floors with a pediment above; central door of 6 moulded and fielded panels in moulded surround with projecting cornice; first floor windows in moulded surrounds; on 2nd floor 3 Coade stone plaques with swags in place of windows. Outer bays project slightly and on ground floor the windows have rusticated surrounds with large keystones. Side-wings: cornice, parapet. To centre of each wing a keyed recess with wide flanking pilasters, each with niche containing vase, and a pediment over. Flanking bays each have a shallow round-headed arch, flanked by recessed pilasters, and containing door of 6 moulded and fielded panels in moulded surround with cornice and circular panel over. South (garden) elevation: of red brick. Centre of 3 storeys, 2-storey wings. 2:3:9:3:2 bays. Cemented string courses, cornice and parapet. Central portion: the 3 central bays form a bow of greater height than the remainder of the elevation with a brick parapet surmounted by a crested iron railing; the windows have moulded surrounds, those on ground floor rusticated, and cornices over. Other windows have flat brick arches. The wings break forward twice, the outer 2-bay sections having pediments. East elevation: formerly faced with Roman cement. Ground floor bays each have a rectangular recess containing arched niche, except for bay 3 which has a segmental-arched doorway, and the central bay which has a slightly-projecting pedimented panel with stone-quoined pilasters and imposts supporting round arch, the recess containing blind door with moulded surround and blind oculus above. On first floor each bay has a raised brick panel. Parapet with stone coping. West elevation: mostly C18 windows and round-arched niche to ground floor of right bay, but some inserted windows; first floor band; dentilled cornice. Roof and most chimneys removed at time of inspection. Interior: C17 windows visible. C18 open-well stone stair with iron balustrade having square-sectioned and some scrolled balusters. Some C18 decorative plasterwork and cornices survive; also doorcases, fireplaces and one good overmantel. Other doors, decorative doorheads, panelling, decorative friezes and pieces from fireplaces and fireplace surrounds in store at time of inspection. The building derelict at time of inspection (October 1989).

------------------------------------

PORTCHESTER ROAD 1. 5231 (South Side) Fareham Cams Hall

SU 5 NE 21/321 18.10.55.

II* GV

2. Country mansion of 1781 built for the Delme family and designed by Jacob Laroux. The materials are said to have been brought from Place House, Titchfield. The house consists of a centre portion and 2 wings. On the north or entrance front the central portion has 3 storeys, 6 windows and 1 window space in the centre. Ashlar. String- courses above ground floor. Cornice and parapet. Hipped slate roof. The 3 centre windowbays of the ground floor are flanked by rusticated pilasters with the windows recessed in round-headed arcading forming a podium on which stand engaged Ionic columns rising through the 1st and 2nd floors with a pediment above. 3 Coade stone plaques with swags in the place of the 2nd flow windows. 1st floor windows in moulded surrounds with architraves over, the centre 1 with pediment also. The outer window bays project slightly, the ground floor windows being set in rusticated surrounds with large keystones over. Glazing bars intact. Doorway in moulded surround with projecting cornice over and door of 6 moulded and fielded panels. The wings on this side are of 1 storey and are faced with Roman cement in bad condition which is peeling off and revaling the brick beneath. Cornice and parapet. In the centre of each wing is a recess with keystone over flanked by wide pilasters and with pediment over. Each pilaster has a niche in it containing a vase. On each side of the centre recess is a shallow round-headed arch flanked by recessed pilasters containing a doorway in moulded surround with projecting cornice over a door of 6 moulded and fielded panels and a circular panel in the tympanum. The facade of the east wing on the north side only consists of a wall masking the offices behind. The south or garden front is of red brick. The central portion has 3 storeys and 9 windows. Cemented stringcourse, cornice and parapet. The 3 centre window bays form a bow of greater height than the remainder of the elevation with a brick parapet surmounted by a crested iron railing. Windows in moulded surrounds with projecting cornices over, the surrounds of the ground floor ones being rusticated. The wings on this side are of 2 storeys and are in 2 sections. The inner sections of 3 window bays each project. Stringcourse, cornice and parapet. The outer sections of 2 window bays each project still more and have pediments over. Derelict at time of resurvey. Cam Hall and its associated listed buildings form a group. (The barn, pigeon house, cart shed with loft, small building to east of cart shed and eastern bank at cams Hall Home Farm are buildings of local interest.



Listing NGR: SU6002505967

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 58936 05738

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 02:58:47.