List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1232739

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthumberlandUnitary AuthorityChillingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 237515

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NU 0625 CHILLINGEAM CHILLINGHAM

17/49 Church of St. Peter 21/9/51

GV 1

Parish church. C12 and C13 with C16 alterations. C19 south porch. East end altered 1960's. Nave, chancel, large south chapel, small north chapel and south porch. Nave masonry C12. West end has buttresses left and right and C19 windows with wood tracery in Decorated style. Pedimented bellcote of 1753 above. Nave north wall has blocked Cl3 doorway and one C16, 2-light window with depressed heads to lights. 2 similar windows to nave south wall. C12 south door in porch has one order of colonettes, block capitals and arch with roll-moulding. Plain parapet obscures low-pitched nave roof. South chapel has blocked lancet windows on return walls, tiny blocked C12 window and a re-set C12 door with round head and continuous roll-moulding on west wall. 2-light C14 windows with cusped Y- tracery to south and east. Chancel, probably C13, has one small lancet on south wall. East gable rebuilt C19. East window 1960's.

Interior: low-pitched C16 nave roof with tie beams on large corbels and King posts. Early C19 box pews. Rustic monument to Robert Charnocke 1691, on north wall. 5 steps up to chancel with crypt beneath. Early C19 chancel and chapel arches, keyed for plaster, with double chamfers dying into imposts. Arch-braced C19 chancel and south chapel roofs on mid C20 corbels. South chapel contains large altar tomb of Sir Ralph Grey and wife. 1443. Sandstone. Canopied, enriched arcades hold 14 figures of saints; angels with shields between. Bubble-leaf ornament to plinth and cornice. In centre of each side 2 larger angels support heraldic shields. Alabaster recumbent effigies of very high quality. Reredos behind with angel holding shield between demi-angels with helmets. Above a C17 addition with strapwork and a Royalist motto:-

De bon vouloir servir le Roy

Also in south chapel, C18 fireplace with Gothick detail. Small octagonal font dated 1670. Jacobean pulpit.

Listing NGR: NU0621125960

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 31 Northumberland - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: NU 06213 25959

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2014 at 05:24:50.