List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE WODEHOUSE

List entry Number: 1232507

Location

THE WODEHOUSE, WODEHOUSE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireSouth StaffordshireDistrict AuthorityWombourne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Jun-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 407889

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOMBOURNE C.P. WODEHOUSE LANE (south side) SO 89 SE 5/164 The Wodehouse 16.6.53 GV II* Small country house. C14 core with C17 additions and C18 internal refittings; remodelled 1872-3 by C.F. Bodley; alterations and additions of 1895-7 by C.R. Ashbee and of 1912 by J.K.H.E. Lavender of Wolverhampton. Timber framed core and billiard room of 1895-7, otherwise rendered brick; plain tile roofs; brick stacks. Irregular E-plan; principal alignment roughly east-west facing south, incorporating the hall range and parlour end of a C14 house; porch and flanking wings to the south front on a north-south alignment, the former is by Bodley, the latter are probably C17; Ashbee added a chapel on the same alignment to the south-east angle and a billiard room at the north-east angle; north-east service block added by the Lavenders. The present Jacobean appearance-of the house is a result of the C19 remodelling. South front. 2 storeys and gable-lit attics. Roughly 7 bays; central porch and a pair of flanking wings, all with shaped gables and finials, deep recesses in between; similar blind gable attached to the left hand side of the left hand wing; hard up against the right hand wing is Ashbee's boldly projecting chapel with a less formal shaped gable. Each of the wings flanking the porch has a pair of ground floor cross windows, a first floor canted bay window with pediment, and a 2-light mullioned attic window with semi-circular pediment and intertwined initials T.S.H. (for Shaw-Hellier) above; mullioned and transomed windows in each of the recesses; the porch has giant angle pilasters capped by crouching lions, a keyed semi-circular entrance arch, a first floor window of 4 transomed lights with semi-circular pediment, and a pedimented sundial within a square panel, this is by Ashbee. Tall chapel south window of 3 lights extended below as blind panels, square head and nominal tracery; to the west a square headed window of 4 cusped lights. West front. 3 shaped gables linked by a parapet incorporating the motto 'DOMUM DULCE DOMUM' instead of balusters; this is by Ashbee. 3 cross windows to both first and second floors grouped slightly to right of centre, 2 square mullioned and transomed bay windows by Bodley to the left, first floor bay window and ground floor mullioned and transomed window to right, central attic casement. Interior. Massive C14 arch-braced spere truss, to the east of it a queen strut truss which formed the lower end wall of the medieval hall, C14 close studded timber framing with tension braces. Early C18 dog-leg staircase in the parlour wing with turned balusters and moulded handrail; C17 stone fireplaces with moulded surrounds; much C18 wall panelling; early C20 staircase in a late C17 style with turned balusters and panelled dado. V.C.H. Vol. XX (1984) pp.205-6; B.O.E. p.327.

Listing NGR: SO8860293522

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1984), 205-6
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 327

National Grid Reference: SO 88602 93522

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 03:39:44.