List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL AT THE KING EDWARD VII HOSPITAL TO THE WEST OF THE MAIN BUILDING

List entry Number: 1232485

Location

CHAPEL AT THE KING EDWARD VII HOSPITAL TO THE WEST OF THE MAIN BUILDING, WEST HEATH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
West SussexChichesterDistrict AuthorityEasebourne

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Mar-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Nov-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 301698

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EASEBOURNE

1899/11/66A WEST HEATH ROAD 02-MAR-73 Chapel at the King Edward VII Hospital to the west of the main building (Formerly listed as: WEST HEATH ROAD Chapel to King Edward VII Sanatorium)

II* Hospital chapel. Rainwater heads dated 1905, chapel opened in 1906. Architects Adams, Holden and Pearson, but stylistically this building is most likely to be by Charles Holden, in a mixture of Free Tudor and Romanesque styles. The chapel was the gift of Sir John Brickwood, a Portsmouth brewer. This chapel was built to a unique plan as some members of the King's sanatorium committee suggested that an open air plan should be designed for the hospital's tubercolosis sufferers. The architect's response was a V-shaped plan facing south with separate naves for men and women patients, a central chancel, open arcaded cloisters and an open air pulpit for fine weather. EXTERIOR: Built of red and grey bricks in courses. Tiled roof with gablets. Six leaded light casement windows with stone mullions to clerestoreys but south facing Bath stone colonnade of five round-headed arches to each nave and triangular entrances at the outer ends with stone columns. The chancel is octagonal with projecting buttresses at the corners and an octagonal timber turret above the dome with metal weathervane. Bath stone outdoor pulpit in southern intersection of the V. INTERIOR: Naves have barrel-vaulted plastered roofs and stone walls. The former open cloister to the south was sympathetically glazed in 1957 by Brian Poulter following new treatment for tuberculosis. The opposite sides have giant blank round-headed arches. The York stone floor was warmed by the early use of an underfloor piped heating system. The chancel has a Romanesque quality with a series of open and blind arches, some containing subsidiary arches to the lower level. The cardinal sides of the octagon have three arches separated by columned piers. From the piers spring a higher central arch and this whole composition is enclosed in an arched recess. The other sides of the octagon have two arched openings with a central columned support, set within a larger arch. Above this is a single, plain-headed lancet. The chancel furnishings were made by C R Ashbee with pulpit, lectern and altar of carved teak with inlays of ebony.

["Architectural Review 1906 p278 onwards. "Buildings of England: Sussex"pp251-252. Jeremy Taylor "Hospital and Asylum Architecture in England 1810-1914." Pp 165-166.]

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 87866 24970

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 07:22:02.