List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE LONDONDERRY INSTITUTE AND FORECOURT WALL

List entry Number: 1232455

Location

THE LONDONDERRY INSTITUTE AND FORECOURT WALL, 18, TEMPEST ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary AuthoritySeaham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Feb-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 407844

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for NZ 44 NW SEAHAM TEMPEST ROAD (south side)

4/42 No 18, The Londonderry Institute and forecourt 21.6.50 wall (formerly listed under Tempest Place)

II

The grade shall be amended to read: Grade II* (star)

------------------------------------------------------- NZ 44 NW SEAHAM TEMPEST ROAD (south side)

4/42 No 18, The Londonderry Institute and forecourt wall 21.6.50 II (Formerly listed under Tempest Place)



Former Literary and Scientific Institute. 1853-5 by Thomas Oliver. Grey sandstone ashlar with low-pitched Welsh slate roofs. T-plan with projecting portico. Greek Revival style. Single storey, 5-bay frontage with single-bay returns and 3 x 2-bay wing to rear. Street facade has 3-bay centre, with tetrastyle Doric portico on 3- step stylobate, and flanking single-bay wings. Portico has pediment with corniced acroterion. Openings have battered eared architraves and raised sills. Central pair of massive 4-panel doors, with riveted iron framing to panels,are flanked by single windows. Single bays to left and right with similar windows are articulated by pilasters. Frieze has triglyphs and blank metopes. Single-bay returns framed by corner pilasters have similar windows and projecting pedimented gables. 3 bay- rear wing has pilaster bay divisions, 3 windows and a plain frieze. 2 corniced ashlar stacks at junctions of rear wing and returns. Interior: much altered and in a state of disrepair at time of survey.

Forecourt has 6 stone piers and low chamfered wall; only one pier to left retains its pyramidal cap.

Listing NGR: NZ4282849618

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 42828 49618

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 07:02:17.