List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List entry Number: 1232286

Location

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, LONDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityPoynton-with-Worth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 407610

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 98 SW POYNTON-WITH-WORTH C.P. LONDON ROAD (West Side)

3/107 Church of St. George II Church, 1858-9 by Crowther, south steeple 1884-5 by Medland and Henry Taylor. Late C13 style. Coursed rubble, steeply-pitched slate roof. Nave, two aisles, chancel, porch on south side with steeple in SE corner. Aisle of 5 bays with simple 2-light cusped windows but clerestorey of 6 bays with alternative circular and 2-light cusped windows. Buttresses with offsets and gable crosses. West end of nave has two, very slim, cusped lancets and sexfoil rose window above. Geometrical east window of 4 lights. Heavily buttressed tower with octagonal stair turret of 3 stages. Twin-louvred bell openings. Broached octagonal spire with lucarnes. South porch has chamfered pointed arch of a single order with inner arch savagely cusped. Interior: Nave of 3 bays, arcades on octagonal piers. Chancel arch on corbelled colonettes; stone sedilia and piscinae. Wagon roofs in nave and chancel. Stained glass east window in north arcade by J Aldam Heaton, now worn and blurred. Some other early Victorian glass. (Pevsner and Hubbard).

Listing NGR: SJ9189483584

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

National Grid Reference: SJ 91894 83584

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 07:42:17.