List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ENTRANCE BLOCK AND EXTENSIONS TO NORTH AND NORTH WEST AT KING JAMES GRAMMAR SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1232192

Location

ENTRANCE BLOCK AND EXTENSIONS TO NORTH AND NORTH WEST AT KING JAMES GRAMMAR SCHOOL, ST HELENS GATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KirkleesMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 407027

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST HELEN'S GATE 1. 5113 (West Side) Almondbury Entrance block and extensions to north and north-west at King James' Grammar School SE 1714 45/9 3.3.52. II 2. The earliest buildings on the site (1610) no longer exist. Entrance block rebuilt by the master, Samuel Brook, some time between the Bishop's Visitations of 1743 and 1764. Hammer dressed stone. Pitched and sprocketed stone slate roof. 2 storeys. Tall hammer dressed stone stacks. 1st floor has one 4-light, 2 3-light and one 2-light stone mullioned sashes with glazing bars. Ground floor has one 4-light and two 3-light stone mullion sashes with glazing bars. 2-storeyed passage along rear added in 1848. Extension to north-west was built on the site of earlier buildings in 1848, with a dormitory above it, completed in 1849. Architect Richard Armitage (an old boy). Contractors Messrs Walter Capper and Jenkinson. Hammer dressed stone. Pitched stone slate roof: coped gable ends on cut kneelers. 2 storeys. Schoolroom below, dormitory above. 1-storey porch extension at north-west angle. South side has 2 ranges of 4-light stone mullioned windows with hoodmoulds, of which only one has all 3 mullions intact. West side has one 2-light window with Perpendicular Gothic tracery and stained glass, hoodmould over. North side has one range of 4-light stone mullioned windows with hoodmoulds, both with 2 mullions removed. Porch has gable coping on cut kneelers. Extension to north probably dates from circa 1848. Ground floor has a 4-light stone mullioned window with hoodmould, diagonally placed vertical iron bars and lead glazing bars with (apparently) old glass: ie it may well be a window re-used from the C18 building, or even the building of 1610. Interior The schoolroom of 1848 has a marble tablet to the Rev Alfred Easther (Master: 1848-76), to whose initiative much of the C19 recovery and expansion of the school was due. The school was founded in 1547, but in 1608 Thomas Beaumont of Whitley Beaumont secured a royal charter for it. In the C19 it expanded to take in boarders. In 1860 it acquired a covered playground (The Cloisters) which became a science laboratory in 1868 and was demolished in 1938. In 1880 the wing to the south (not included) was added, comprising a classroom with dormitory and master's room above, and kitchen with bedrooms for domestic staff. In 1883 further additions (also not included) were made, comprising a new schoolroom plus classroom with dormitory and master's room above. Both these additions were designed by W S Barber of Halifax.

Listing NGR: SE1717214831

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 17172 14831

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 08:49:59.