List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NEOT

List entry Number: 1231799

Location

CHURCH OF ST NEOT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityPoundstock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 64942

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 29 NW POUNDSTOCK POUNDSTOCK

10/140 Church of St Neot 29.9.61

GV I

Parish church. Transept may be of C13 or earlier origin, late C15/early C16 nave, north aisle, chancel, west tower. Restored 1896 by G H Fellowes Prynne. West tower and west wall of north aisle freestone ashlar; north aisle, south side, transept, porch and chancel stone rubble with freestone and granite dressings. South transept probably remains of a C13 or earlier cruciform church, north aisle added late C15/early C16, present Lady Chapel probably added a little later when the chancel bays of the arcade were built. Largely Perpendicular church substantially restored in the late C19. Chancel slightly lower than nave, moulded timber bargeboarding to east gable of nave. Gabled chancel has late C19 moulded granite coping and kneelers; 3-light C19 Perpendicular east window with hoodmould and carved label stops. Small C19 panel below east window is carved with patee crosses. South side, to left of porch, has square-headed C16 3-light window with cinquefoil-headed lights below hoodmould. Similar 2-light window between porch and transept. Transept has C19 moulded granite coping and kneelers to south gable and 3-light arched Decorated window under a hoodmould. Some renewal of tracery. East wall of transept has square-headed 3-light window with cinquefoil-headed lights below hoodmould. South wall of chancel has square-headed 3-light granite window with cinquefoil-headed lights, heads of lights renewed. Arched, chamfered freestone priest's door on south wall of chancel has C19 hoodmould with carved label stops. North aisle has five 3-light square-headed C16 Perpendicular granite windows under hoodmoulds. One large C17 or C18 buttress. Chamfered arched granite north door has carved spandrels and square-headed hoodmould. Simple chamfered round-headed freestone niche above north door. Wall of north aisle flush with chancel, large buttress with set-offs between. East window of north aisle 3-light pointed Perpendicular with hoodmould. West end of north aisle probably rebuilt, masonry similar to tower. 3 light pointed Perpendicular west window to north aisle with hoodmould. 3 stage freestone ashlar tower with granite quoins and decorative courses of granite masonry. Moulded granite strings mark stages, string below battlemented parapet has additional moulding (q.v. Morwenstow and Launcells). Octagonal tower pinnacles have heavily crocketed finials. Internal north-west stair turret with slits. Moulded arched granite west doorway with carved spandrels under square-headed hoodmould. West window 3-light renewed Perpendicular with hoodmould. Trefoil-headed statue niche on west wall at bell ringers stage under ogee moulding with engaged finial. South side has moulded rectangular opening at bell ringers stage. 2-light belfry openings with louvres below blind tracery. Porch has late C19 boarded waggon roof with ribs and bosses and late C19 granite benches. Moulded arched C16 granite inner doorway has pyramid stops. Polyphant hoodmould to door may date from earlier build. Holy water stoup. Massive C16 nailed door with strap hinges. Interior: 6 bay Perpendicular granite north arcade, 2 bays to the chancel. Nave piers have 4 hollows and 4 shafts with moulded bases and capitals. Chancel piers are octagonal monoliths with rustic octagonal capitals. Interior walls (except tower) rendered circa later C19 leaving stone dressings to windows exposed. Roofs throughout late C19 boarded waggons with ribs and bosses. Late C19 timber chancel arch with pierced tracery. Angels carved on chancel wall plate. Chancel roof corbelled out on north side to accommodate bulge in north chancel arcade. Double- chamfered granite tower arch springs from moulded capitals on short engaged shafts. Double chamfered arch into transept. Large rectangular C13 granite font has 2 orders of pointed blind arcading. Late C16/early C17 drum pulpit is carved with panels of arabesques and flowers, moulded plinth and steps probably C19. Late C19/early C20 roodscreen. Lady Chapel screen 1917 carved by Miss Rashleigh Pinwill of Plymouth. Polyphant piscina in chancel probably late C19. Choir stalls consist of 2 C16 carved benches and frontals, heavily repaired. 2 prayer desks with benches in chancel may be made up from C16 benches. Altar and reredos by Fellowes Prynne. Lady Chapel has late C19 dado containing some C17 carved panels. Cinquefoil-headed piscina with shelf for use as aumbrey probably late C14/early C15. Easternmost window of north aisle contains fragment of C15 glass showing the symbol of St Luke. Wall monument on north wall of Lady Chapel dated 1638 has moulded cornice and pediment flanked by obelisks. Monument shows the arms of the Penfound family (q.v. Penfound Manor). South transept east window contains fragment of C15 glass showing canopy work. 2 large C15 wall paintings on north wall of nave uncovered during Prynne's restoration illustrate the Tree of the Seven Deadly Sins and the Warning to Sabbath-breakers. Figures largely obscured. Late C15/early C16 paintings of saints on board fixed to north wall of nave were formerly part of the medieval roodscreen. Good early C16 chest from Parnham House, Beaminster in nave. Chest has carved panels of profile heads in medallions. Late C16/early C17 communion table in nave. Several fine slate memorials fixed to nave walls. Memorial to William and John Trebarfoote (q.v. Trebarfoote) fixed to west wall buried 1628 and 1630. 2 round- headed arches on fluted columns carved in relief with angels' heads in spandrels. Arms of the Trebarfoote family in shield on central column. Inserted brass plate with verse and date of 1629, below plate a kneeling figure carved in relief before a prayer stool. Capital letters of inscription cut in ornamental relief. Fixed to north wall of nave a freestone slab incised with a foliated cross, probably C13. Slate memorial to Elizabeth Pearse, buried 1720, fixed to north wall of nave with inscription round border, and verse with incised angels heads. Slate memorial to John Harry, died 1669 fixed to north wall with long verse. Fixed to the south wall a slate memorial to Charles Manaton, carver and freeman of the City of London, buried 1732. Inscription largely illegible, but recorded by Alice Bizley, The Slate Figures of Cornwall includes the lines "The carving it hath been an art of old/And curiously was overlaid with gold;/ ... So also it is useful in these later days./Which did the intombed Artist's honour raise/. Simon Morton, Vicar of Poundstock was a leading figure in the Prayer Book Rebellion of 1549 and was hanged in Stratton for treason. The present Lady Chapel was the Penfound Chapel. The restoration by Fellowes Prynne cost £1,070. Prynnes' report on the building before his restoration describes it in a state of neglect and decay. Alice C Bizley, The Slate Figures of Cornwall (Marazion and Penzance, 1965); J G Edwards, The Story of Poundstock Church and Parish (Poundstock, 1979).

Listing NGR: SX2021899450

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bizley, A C, The Slate Figures of Cornwall, (1965)
Edwards, J G, The Story of Poundstock Church and Parish, (1979)

National Grid Reference: SX 20219 99453

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 11:49:05.