List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1231756

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, PARSONS LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SuffolkMid SuffolkDistrict AuthorityBarking

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 406976

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARKING PARSONS LANE TM 05 SE

2/43 Church of St. Mary

9.12.55 I

Parish church, principally C14 and C15. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles; sacristy north of chancel, and south porch. Mainly plastered rubble walls with freestone dressings. Mainly leaded roofs; embattled parapets and parapet gables with a number of fine mediaeval gargoyles. The chancel roof is slated. Nave arcade of 5 bays; on the north side the piers have mid C14 mouldings, and on the south they were rebuilt in early C15 when the clerestory and roof were added. 6-bay crownpost roof, the tie-beams with massive arch-braces and the wall-pieces beneath with angel corbels. Crownposts are octagonal with moulded caps and bases and 4-way bracing. The clerestory windows have some mediaeval glass in the spandrels. The chancel has a C14 east window with intersecting tracery; the side windows are of c.1500 and one has a dropped cill with linked piscina. The canted and boarded roof is a restoration of 1905 with perhaps a little mediaeval work. C15 chancel arch, with image niches on either side and a complete but blocked rood loft stair and doors. The screen of c.1500 has the original vaulting ribs springing from figure corbels; at the base the solid panels have some original colour. Mid C14 tower: west doorway and traceried window above. (The upper stage was rebuilt c.1880). The early C16 doors have carved panels (compare Needham Market Church). The tower arch has shafts springing from good grotesque corbels. The 3-light windows in the north aisle are C15, but one has inserted mullions, jambs and reveals of terracotta; these are by the same craftsman as the windows at Shrubland Old Hall, Coddenham of c.1520. Good early C16 lean-to aisle roof, the principal members enriched with vinescroll. At the east end of the aisle is the chapel of St. John; it has good linked piscina and sedile, and above is a disused doorway, perhaps to a former roodloft. A fine parclose screen of c.1500 has restored original colour and the east window has some original glass. The south aisle has mainly early C16 windows and an C18 roof, but stone corbels remain from two or more earlier roofs. In the chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is a good late C13 piscina; the parclose screen is of c.1500 as in the north aisle. The C14 porch is plain, with image niches beside the doorway; inside, the late C13 south doorway has good carved details; at the head of the hood-mould is a death's head, and a pair of mask drip stones are at the base; beside it is a stoup and above is a painted C17 text. A C14 sacristy is complete with barred windows, and a newel stair up to the priests chamber above. The doorway from the chancel is double; the C14 inner doorway has an arched oak frame and plank door with a massive lock and other ironmongery, and the outer door is in two parts with good C15 tracery. Fine octagonal C15 font of limestone; the bowl has sunk panels with alternate angels and evangelists, and alternate lions and wild men support the stem. The oak tabernacle-type cover is in the C15 manner, but was restored or renewed in C19. C18 panelled pulpit. About 6 of the C19 poppyhead benches have C16 ends. A large pew in the chancel has panels with blind arcading which appear to come from the C15 roodloft. Within, are C16 poppyhead benches; and a fragment of a choirstall has carved figures on the armrests. Late C17 communion rails. In the south chapel are 3 good late C18 wall monuments. Among 8 floor slabs in the chancel, mainly of C18, is a C16 example with indents for brasses. About 15 further slabs in the nave and aisles, among which are a few C15 and C16 examples also with indents. Two painted coats of arms, one of Chas.II. On canvas panels in a C18 wooden frame are painted Creed and Commandments.

Listing NGR: TM0764353565

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 07643 53565

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 05:55:47.