List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1231690

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, THE DENE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary AuthorityDalton-le-Dale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 406877

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 44 NW DALTON-LE-DALE THE DENE (South side)

4/4 Church of St. Andrew 20.2.67 II*



Church. Romanesque with mainly C13 features. Extensive restoration by C. Hodgson Fowler in 1907 when bellcote, porch and vestry were added. Snecked rubble. C20 Welsh slate roof. Aisleless nave and continuous chancel, south porch and north vestry. 2-bay chancel has pointed-arched priest's door and trefoiled low-side window in south wall; plate-tracery window in north wall to east of vestry and trefoiled low-side window to west. Buttressed east end with 3 stepped lancets in hollow-chamfered reveals. 4-bay nave has pilaster-buttressed bay divisions and tall lancets under hoodmoulds with trefoiled rear-arches. Sculptured fragments built into masonry include part of a Saxon cross-shaft and a C17 sundial. South door within porch is set in a roll-moulded pointed arch of 2 orders, shafts missing. North wall has chamfered plinth and a late Romanesque doorway of 3 orders with chevron and worn scalloped capitals, shafts missing. Single tall lancet in west end and bellcote above.

Interior: gutted and plastered. Panelled nave ceiling, shallow wagon roof to chancel; minimal wooden chancel screen. Recumbent alabaster effigy of Sir William Bowes, died 1420, in armour on decorated chest tomb, is now set against a 4-centred recess possibly for Easter sepulchre. Mutilated female effigy in front of low arch in north wall. Aumbry and trefoiled piscina in chancel south wall. Late medieval round font with floral border on replaced stem. Relief Roman numerals on north wall said to be remnants of a ray sundial.

Listing NGR: NZ4079748034

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 40797 48034

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 10:24:49.