List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TERRA NOVA SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1231670

Location

TERRA NOVA SCHOOL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityTwemlow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Mar-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 406846

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TWEMLOW C.P. JODRELL BANK SJ 77 SE

2/53 Terra Nova School (Formerly listed as 6.6.52 Jodrell Hall)

GV II

Mansion, now a school, 1779 (Pevsner) with additions 1885. (Porch rainwater head) by Douglas and later alterations. Red brick in Flemish Bond, with stone dressing and slate roof. 3 storeys and attic, 5 bays with 3 storey, 3 bay wing north and 2 storey and attic 3 bay wing (by Douglas) south. Stone plinth and first floor sill band. Three centre bays project slightly and are surmounted by a gable pediment which uses the same moulding as the eaves cornice. Recessed sashes with stone sills, flat arches and glazing bars. Oculus, with stone surround, in the tympanum of the pediment. Projecting brick porch with ovolo moulded semicircular stone archivolt, with keystone and flanking reeded stone pilasters. The pilasters continue upwards passing a dentil cornice and brick parapet wall, with stone coping, to support ball finials. The porch has a nine-panel semi-circular headed outer door, on strap hinges, and a half glazed nine-panel internal door with semi-circular headed 3-mullion fanlight. The interior of the porch has dado panelling and the side walls stone ovolo moulded cross windows with leaded glazing. There is a brick parapet wall above the eaves cornice and stone copings to parapet and gables. Gable-end stacks. The south wing is contemporary to the porch having stone cross windows, with leaded glazing, and shaped gables to the centre and south gable-end. The late C18 north wing has recessed sashes and detailing similar to the main building. Interior: Entrance Hall has stone geometrical staircase with shaped step ends, turned oak balusters and very heavy moulded bottom newel. The Dining Room has panelled walls, panelled beams and the ceiling formed into panels by moulded wooden beads. There are panelled shutters to windows, some with carving, and many six panel doors. At first floor level there is a screen of Doric columns and pilasters supporting a moulded beam, and the spaces between the columns are filled with balusters which match the staircase. On the Landing a semi-circular headed niche is flanked by six-panel doors with panelled linings, and there are matching doors to north and south ends of the Landing.

Listing NGR: SJ7959670110

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

National Grid Reference: SJ 79596 70110

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 06:55:44.