List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1231620

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, RED LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityDisley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 406499

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 97 84 DISLEY C.P. RED LANE (South Side)

7/40 Church of St. Mary

27/11/1963

GV II*

Church: West tower and porch 1527-1558, remainder 1824-1835 with aisles of 1828 by Thomas Lee of Barnstaple. Coursed, buff sandstone rubble with sandstone-dressings and a lead roof. West porch and tower, nave and 2 aisles of 4 bays and 1-bay chancel. West tower of 4 stages, with angle buttresses and castellated parapet showing the bases of 8 pinnacles. Surmounted by ornate wrought iron weather vane moved from Stockport parish church. West window of 3 lights with straight mullions and 3-light louvred bell opening with each light round-headed. Sundial on south face. Porch originally on south of nave, also castellated with crocketted pinnacles and a central cross. Entrance under slightly pitched plain lintel. Aisles have buttresses dividing the bays of 3-light windows with intersecting tracery, and castellated as porch. Clerestorey has 3-light lancet windows in square, bevelled openings. Chancel is as the aisles but for 3-light mullioned and transomed east window with trefoil cusped heads in each element (probably later C19 addition). Interior: Arcades of 4 bays on plain octagonal piers supporting 4-centred arches. Wooden galleries in arcades and behind tower. Original early C16 wooden ceiling, over nave, has heavily moulded, slightly cambered tie beams, with applied foliage and angels at their centres, sprung from moulded wooden corbels. At the intersection of the other minor moulded members are flat floral bosses and at the ceiling's centre a ram's head (arms of the Legh family). Aisle and clerestory windows have panels of medieval continental glass with fine Dutch/Swiss east window, dated 1535, depicting scenes from the life of Christ. The original glass was moved to Lyme Park (q.v.) in 1835. Fine Gothic, painted and gilded organ case of 1836 by Samuel Renn. White marble memorial plaque to Thomas Legh, signed A. Gatley Rome 1858. Ornate Gothic stone pulpit and font both dated 1868.

Listing NGR: SJ9747384510

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 97473 84510

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 10:30:52.