List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SISTON COURT

List entry Number: 1231511

Location

SISTON COURT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
South GloucestershireUnitary AuthoritySiston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 406662

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5118 SISTON SISTON VILLAGE Siston Court ST 67 NE 2/62 11.5.53 I GV 2. Late C16 house on this site is minutely described in an inventory of circa 1625. It probably forms the core of the present house with later C17 additions and embellishments. Interior altered for sub-division into flats in mid C20. A very large house in grounds at the edge of Siston Park. Rubble with pantile roofs. Roughly E-shaped on plan, enclosing 3 sides of gravelled forecourt. Two storeys and attics. Three gables to centre block, 3 to each wing, side wings and side gables facing front. All gables have moulded copings and stone ball finials. Windows fairly regularly placed, 2, 3 and 4-light casements with flat heads, moulded stone mullions, some with transoms, others (taller) with 2 transoms, all with relieving arches. Two octagonal turrets with cupolas, one in each inner angle. Central single storey porch with later Tudor doorway, heraldic shields in spandrels, restored 4-light casement above door with ogee sub-arches. The inside elevation of each wing has 3 square head chamfered doorways, and each, at the east end on first floor, has a coned niche with shell head, bolection moulded surround and flat moulded cornice over. Centre door of south wing has simple shield over. The end elevation of each wing has a 2-storey 6-light angular bay with crenellated, single transoms, carved heraldic shield in recessed panels beneath each upper window. At right angles and abutting each end elevation is a 2 storey wing with central gable and stone mullioned casement windows. Moulded plinth returned and dropped at doorways. Weathered string courses all round at floor levels, cornice, ashlar parapet with coping between each gable. Tall square ashlar stacks with caps in pairs and quartets set diagonally mostly at rear; some repaired in brick. Interior: retains numerous features of interest despite conversion into separate flats. Centre has cross beam ceiling, moulded and with pendants and rosettes in panels, the main hall has been sub-divided and the great fireplace removed to Addis Abata, doors have bolection surrounds, Original stairwell with ribbed vaulted plaster ceiling with pendants. The staircase is very unusual but presumably original: 2 twisted balusters per tread, each tread end cut and moulded. Newels have open-cut pendants, similar ones at halfway marks with moulded panels: twisted balusters across landing. The staircase is reached from hall through a tall arch with sunk-chamfer moulding. An angled room overlooking the park, added in mid C19, contains a re-sited Jacobean fireplace dated 1616 and oak chimney piece (probably reproduction). South room of south-west wing has a Gothick fireplace with sunk ogee lintel and clustered and banded columns. The south wing contains the former library room on the ground floor and has a bolection moulded fireplace with reverse brackets to mantel piece, panelled ceiling with 2 oval wreaths in plaster and crested ornament in cornice and cross-beam; the staircase, a good Jacobean one with turned balusters and straight string has been imported (apparently from Cornwall). (Literature: Country Life 7 October 1905, Inventory of circa 1625 in the Sackville MSS, Kent County Archives).

Listing NGR: ST6866175361

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 7 October, (1905)

National Grid Reference: ST 68661 75361

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 03:56:42.