List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KINGSTON HOUSE, INCLUDING ATTACHED STABLE AND COACH HOUSE

List entry Number: 1231398

Location

KINGSTON HOUSE, INCLUDING ATTACHED STABLE AND COACH HOUSE, WEST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DorsetPurbeckDistrict AuthorityCorfe Castle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Nov-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Mar-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 109346

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CORFE CASTLE WEST STREET, KINGSTON SY 95 79 (South side) 6/193 Kingston House, including attached stable and coach 20.11.59 house (formerly listed as "Estate Office, formerly Vicarage") - II House, former vicarage. Probably c1880. Architect G E Street. Tooled ashlar stone walls, with plinth. Stone slate roofs with coped gables. Ashlar stacks with moulded caps and semi-octagonal ends. Irregular plan. In Gothic Revival style. 2 storeys - part with basement. Entrance front has projecting gabled wings at each end. The right part of the central recessed section infilled with a block, part gabled, and part flat-roofed with parapet. Recessed section left of this has a lean-to extension at basement level. Left end projection has central buttress; string course under first floor windows. Basement has two 2-light stone mullioned windows. Ground floor has one 2-light stone mullioned and transomed window with lead lights in upper part. Similar 5-light window on first floor. Right of this, the basement lean-to has two 2-light stone mullioned windows. Ground floor, above this, has a 2-light stone mullioned window under 4-centred arch. Two 2-light stone mullioned windows on first floor. In the centre infill block, panelled door in 4-centred arch in square frame with hood- mould. Right of door, two 3-light stone mullioned and transomed windows under continuous hoodmould, separated by buttress with moulded offsets. On first floor, above door, two 2-light stone mullioned windows. Right of these, two 2-light stone mullioned and transomed windows with lead lights in upper parts. In right end projecting wing, ground floor has two 2-light stone mullioned and transomed windows with lead lights in upper parts, with hoodmoulds. Similar 3-light window on first floor, and small single-light window in gable over. Stone steps lead up to entrance, with stone balustrade walls. partly pierced, with ogee-headed openings. Interior not inspected but reputed to contain C17 panelling - probably from Encombe House (q.v.). Attached stables and coach house on east, in matching construction. Door openings and loft door on north. (Drawing in "The Architect". September 21. 1878).

Listing NGR: SY9551479478

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'The Architect' in 21 September, (1878)

National Grid Reference: SY 95514 79478

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 09:33:52.