List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1231322

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE, LONDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityHolmes Chapel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 406436

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOLMES, CHAPEL CP LONDON ROAD SJ 76 NE Holmes Chapel

4/5 Church of St Luke

14.2.67

GV I

Parish Church,circa 1430 with early C18 alterations. Sandstone tower, red brick chancel and nave, in Flemish bond, stone slate roof. Tower with porch, 4 bay nave, with side aisles, and one bay chancel. This is a large Perpendicular timber church with Perpendicular west tower but the chancel and nave were encased in brickwork early in the C18. Square sandstone tower with buttresses which reduce four times in height. Gothic headed, ledged and boarded oak door, on large plain strap hinges, in coved and headed opening surmounted by a hood mould. There is a 2-light Perpendicular window over the door and an empty niche with splayed reveals above this. There is a small single light window below the two light louvred window opening at bell stage. Diamond shaped clock dials to north and south faces of the tower. Plain coved cornice with angle gargoyles and crenellated parapet. The aisle windows are in two tiers, semi-circular headed, single light, lead lattice, glazed, wood windows below, and shorter, segmental, single light, wood windows above a three course deep projecting brick band. Six window bays each side. There are segmental headed oak boarded doors, on strap hinges, in the second and sixth window bays each side. On the north aisle the doors are flanked by wide brick pilasters and have pediments above the arches. The aisles have lean-to roofs with slightly shallower pitches than the nave. There are sandstone copings with kneelers to the ends of the aisle roofs. The chancel has a three light, stone, Perpendicular window with stained glass surmounted by a hood mould supported by corbels with faces. The chancel roof is lower than the nave and has sandstone ridge and hips. There is a small vestry in the angle between the aisle and chancel on the north side. Interior: The tower entrance leads into a porch with tower steps. It is separated from the nave by a pair of 1980 3-panel glazed doors with wide panelled lining. The nave is separated from the aisles by angle roll-beaded octagonal oak posts, on low stone bases, which support the three main roof trusses. There are oak panelled galleries, circa 1705, across the back of the church (west) and over the south aisle. These contain the organ and three rows of box pews respectively. The nave floor is of stone slabs and head stones. The chancel has a plain oak reredos and side panelling and there is a low oak communion rail with turned balusters. A carved oak crest dated 1622 is set low down (south) by the Communion Rail. Wall memorials with dates 1810, 1828 and 1836 in the chancel. A number of good wall memorials from 1915 to mid C19 on the aisle walls. Stone font of 1890 and C19 oak pulpit with Gothic motifs. A brass chandelier of 1708 hangs from a nave main truss. The chancel ceiling is low, flat and plastered and separated from the nave by a chevron plaster filled truss. The C15 nave roof has arch braced trusses with cambered tie beams. The moulding on the octagonal posts continues on to the arch braces and there are shaped struts to the upper purlins. Intermediate arch braced collar trusses also with shaped struts. There are exposed rafters and two lines of purlins with quatrefoil wind braces. Main roof wall plates strutted and braced from a girding beam 600mm below. Aisle roofs have exposed rafters and purlins supported by simple braced trusses which are carried by the octagonal niouldadposts which separate the aisles from the nave. Although there is no external indication of the quality of this roof frame this church must rank high among Cheshire's timber framed churches.

Listing NGR: SJ7622067274

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 76218 67274

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 10:45:21.