List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1230950

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireSouth StaffordshireDistrict AuthorityKinver

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 27-Jun-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 405977

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINVER C.P. CHURCH HILL (North side) S08483-8583 15/71 Church of St. Peter 27.6.63 GV I Parish church. Mainly early C14, incorporating some C12 fragment s from an earlier church; substantial mid-C15 extensions; restored 1884-5 by G.G. and J.O. Scott; north aisle rebuilt 1976. Dressed stone blocks; plain tile roofs with coped verges. West tower with diagonal buttresses. 4-bay nave with side aisles and south porch, 2-bay aisled chancel. West tower: mid-C14. 4 stages marked by moulded strings, and crenellated parapet. Pointed west door of 2 chamfered orders with returned hood mould; above is a pointed 3-light window with reticulated tracery and a hood mould. The north and south sides of the third stages each have a trefoil headed loop with sunken spandrels. 2-light pointed belfry openings with reticulated tracery. Nave: at the junction with the south aisle to the west is a C12 pilaster buttress. North aisle: 1975-6. By John Greaves Smith of Kinver. The bay division buttresses are flanked by tall loops, horizontal strip windows at eaves level, dormer with hipped roof to the left. South aisle: early C14, extended to the east by a single bay in the mid-C15 to form the Grey Chapel. Buttresses at the bay divisions. Pointed C14 windows of 3 lights with Decorated tracery; the windows of the east bay have Tudor arches and cinquefoil headed lights. Door of circa 1856-7 on the south side of the east bay, restored in the C20. Gabled south porch of circa 1380 with a C20 eastern extension :4-centred arch opening with an inner chamfered order and an outer quarter round moulded order. Inside, a pointed door to the south aisle of 2 quarter round moulded orders. Chancel: pointed east window of 5 cinquefoil headed lights and panel tracery;in the angle between the Grey Chapel and the chancel is the entrance to a staircase which led to a vestry beneath the sanctuary. This rom is lit to the east by 3 rectangular windows at ground level. North chancel aisle: (The Foley Chapel). In existence by 1472 when its founder John Hampton was buried here. 3 windows to the north and one to the east all of similar character to those of the eastern bay of the south aisle. In the centre of the north side is a mid-C19 door with Tudor arch, partly blocking the central window. Interior: C14 south arcade, and north arcade of 1856-7 by Thomas Smith of Stourbridge. Both have octagonal columns with moulded capitals and pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders. The easternmost column of the south arcade has the inscription "THO / PIXELL / WILL / BANNISTER / 1671 / CHUR WARDENS". C14 pointed tower arch of 3 chamfered orders springing from engaged octagonal columns with moulded capitals. High pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders springing from engaged octagonal columns. Immediately north of the chancel are the remains of a newel staircase leading to a door with semi-circular arch which probably communicated with a former rood loft. Over the nave is an early C14 common rafter roof with double collars; the lower collars are arch braced. Over the south aisle a collar rafter roof with straight braces, C14 or C15. C15 north chancel arcade with four-centred arches of 2 hollow chamfered orders springing from cylindrical columns with moulded caps and bases. The south arcade has pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders springing from octagonal columns with moulded capitals, C14 and C15, restored and strengthened to the south by massive C19 brick arches. C15 arch-braced collar rafter roof of 4-centred section over the chancel. C15 panelled roof of 4-centred section over the north chancel aisle. C14 sedilia and piscina at the east end of the C14 south aisle, all with ogee arches. Fittings: late C14 stone font with elaborate tracery patterns. Hexagonal oak pulpit with balustraded steps; dated 1623 but heavily restored in 1903. Late C17 oak communion rail with richly carved balusters. Panelled oak reredos with fluted Ionic pilasters and panelled side walls to sanctuary. Organ of 1901 in south aisle. Monuments: The Grey Chapel: chest tomb of Sir Edward Grey (d. 1528) with incised brasses of Sir Edward, his wife and children. Large tablet to William Talbot (d. 1686) with segmental pediment capped by an urn. Tablet to Dorothy and Edward Hillman (d. 1722 and 1727) with broken semi-circular pediment. The Foley Chapel: mutilated C15 recumbant effigy of a knight reputed to be that of John Hampton (d. 1472), the founder of the chapel. Architectural tablet to John Hodgetts (d. 1789). 2 urns within an aedicule formed by 2 short thick unfluted Doric columns and a heavy pediment. Chancel: tablet to Eliza Crawshaw (d. 1813), capped by an obelisk with palm tree motif. Nave: tablet to John and Ann Comber (d. 1732 and 1751). South aisle: large First World War memorial incorp- orating a statue of St. George. Stained glass: east window of circa 1849 showing scenes from the life of Jesus, 2 early C20 windows in the south aisle.

Listing NGR: SO8461683049

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 84614 83049

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 05:37:46.