List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STANSFIELD HALL

List entry Number: 1230848

Location

STANSFIELD HALL, STANSFIELD HALL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CalderdaleMetropolitan AuthorityTodmorden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 405496

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 92SW TODMORDEN (former M.B.) STANSFIELD HALL ROAD

5/279 Stansfield Hall

19.4.74

G.V. II*

House of 1640 for James Stansfield with large extension dated 1862 in Gothic Revival style by John Gibson for Joshua Fielden M.P. C17 house of large dressed stone, extension in ashlar, stone slate roof. Only a cross-wing survives from earliest build. Gable has 5-light chamfered mullioned window (lengthened with replaced mullions) with arched head with sunken spandrels. Over is added oriel C19 as are all other details. Return wall has lateral stack with 2 diagonally set flues. Hall range to right is C19 with similar arch headed windows and oriel in return wall. Attached to left hand end of original wing is large impressive range c.1862. This is high quality work. All are mullioned windows. Those to 1st floor have depressed Tudor arched lights with cusped lights to ground floor. The main elements of the facade feature a tall lateral stack of 5 coupled octagonal flues with tall pointed arched windows with panel tracery to either side. Large 15-light hall window retains some decorative leaded lights. To right of this window a double gabled bay breaks forward which features a canted window with quatrefoil above the cusped tracery heads. 2 other large stacks to ridge. Left hand return wall has main entrance with Tudor arched doorway with deeply moulded surround protected by porte-cochere with similar detail. To right of doorway are 2 pointed arched windows with panel tracery. Set between at lst floor is highly decorated oriel with canted sides, cross- window with cusped lights. The hoodmoulds have carved heads to the drip termination. Rear has several double chamfered mullioned and transomed windows of 6 and 8 lights. Interior: The west end has fine coffered ceiling, brattished frieze. Tudor arc.led fireplace with Gothic decoration incorporating the initials J F and E F. Reveals of windows have pointed arches decorated with carved foliage of differing designs.

Listing NGR: SD9407524675

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 94075 24675

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 03:23:09.