List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1230528

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireCharnwoodDistrict AuthoritySeagrave

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 405439

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SEAGRAVE

SK 61 NW CHURCH STREET (East Side) 4/131 1.6.66 Church of All Saints

GV II*

Church. C13-C15, restored and chancel rebuilt C19. Granite rubble stone with stone dressings and Swithland slate roof. Stone coped gables, some with cross finials. W tower, nave, aisles, chancel and N and S porches. Perp W tower of 3 stages with clasping buttresses, W window, loopholes in second stage, 4 2-light bell openings, quatrefoiled lozenge frieze, remains of gargoyles,and battlements. Inside, a double chamfered nave arch on semi-circular responds. C13 bay N arcade with double chamfered arches on circular piers. Early C14 three bay S arcade with double chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Perp clerestory with four windows either side, two to W of 2-lights, two to E of 3-lights. C19 roof with curved braces to collars. In N aisle four windows with Reticulated tracery, N door and porch. Piscina and aumbry. Double chamfered chancel arch on responds with fillets. N and E windows with stained glass of 1881, others with tinted glass. C19 boarded roof. Medieval altar stone remounted mid C20. In S aisle three windows with Reticulated tracery and E window with plate tracery. Rood loft arch near. Piscina and square niches. Pieces of C18 panelling, probably from old box pews, against wall. S doorway with many-moulded arch and S porch of 1889. Circular Norman font, blank arcading with colonettes carrying segmental arches. C19 base. Interior retains two old chests, Royal arms on panel over chancel arch, and two early C19 musical instruments, an ophicleide and a serpent. Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK6199217586

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 61992 17586

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Aug-2014 at 06:06:29.