List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1230337

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WHITCHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityHandley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 405146

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 45 NE HANDLEY C.P. WHITCHURCH ROAD (East Side)

5/72 Church of All Saints.

1/3/1967

GV II*

Church: tower dated 1512, roof dated 1661 but re-used in restoration of 1853-5 by James Harrison, chancel and vestry of 1891. Ashlar red sandstone, Welsh slate roof. 3-bay nave, l-bay chancel, 3-stage west tower, vestry and south porch. 2-centred arched entrance to porch and rectangular 3-light and pointed 2-light windows in Decorated style in nave. Chancel has a lancet and 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. Tower has diagonal buttresses and 4-centred head to west door under label mould with carved head stops. 3-light west window breaks bond with carved heads and has a crocketted ogee hood. A tablet to either side reads: "Hoc ca' panile f'x'm' e' a' d'ni MCCCCXII t'p'e R'c'i raulinso, rectoris ac prooibus b'n'facto ribus ejusdem orate." Above are 2 empty niches. Similar 3-light louvred bell openings and gargoyles support embattled parapet. Interior: Good hammerbeam roof to nave, carved brackets carry inscription RD 1661, JE 1661 and wind-braced purlins. Edges of all main members picked out in black and white. Narrow chamfered chancel arch on engaged octagonal columns. Similar but taller arch to tower. Octagonal font on restored octagonal shaft. The tower closely resembles that at St Alban's, Tattenhall (q.v.) and has the same mason's marks.

Listing NGR: SJ4663057880

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 46630 57880

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 03:14:40.