List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ALBAN

List entry Number: 1230254

Location

CHURCH OF ST ALBAN, CHURCH BANK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityTattenhall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 405170

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 45 NE TATTENHALL C.P. CHURCH BANK

5/96 Church of St. Alban.

1/3/1967

GV II*

Church: core and tower early C16, restored and remodelled 1869-70 by John Douglas. Ashlar red sandstone, green slate roof. 4-bay nave, 5-bay aisles, 2-bay chancel, 3-stage west tower and south porch. Timber-framed porch has 4-centred arched entrance and delicately carved brackets, spandrels and barge boards. Aisle bays divided by buttresses have broad 3-light windows with 3-centred heads. 5-light Perpendicular style east window under label mould. Tower has diagonal buttresses, cyma moulded west doorcase and a 3-light west window, breaking a band of carved heads, with a crocketted ogee label mould, flanked by pairs of initialled shields below, empty niches above. Similar 3-light louvred bell openings and gargoyles support an embattled parapet. Interior: 4-bay arcades on octagonal piers has a low clerestorey with 3-light windows. Broad chancel arch on stiff-leaf corbels. Good Victorian stone reredos and stained glass with window by Kempe in south aisle of 1896. Fine brass chandelier dated 1755.

The tower closely resembles that at All Saints, Handley (q.v.) and must be by the same mason.

Listing NGR: SJ4863958611

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 48639 58611

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 01:59:41.