List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OAKFIELD (HEADQUARTERS OF CHESTER ZOO)

List entry Number: 1230120

Location

OAKFIELD (HEADQUARTERS OF CHESTER ZOO), CAUGHALL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityUpton-by-Chester

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 404826

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 47 SW UPTON-BY-CHESTER C.P. CAUGHALL ROAD (West Side)

2/38 Oakfield (Headquarters of Chester Zoo).

-

GV II

Formerly large house, now offices and restaurant: short wing c1885 by E A Ould, remainder rebuilt 1892 by H Beswick, all for B Chaffers Roberts, some C20 alterations. English garden wall bond Ruabon brick with blue brick diapering and red sandstone dressings. Welsh slate roof and 4 brick chimneys with Tudor-style stacks. 2 and 2½-storey, 4-bay west front. Left 2 bays are earlier parts with canted, castellated 2-storey bay window with mullioned and transomed windows in coped and finialled dormers above. To right is a projecting gabled porch with shaped and coped gable with a griffin finial. Doorcase with basket-arched head. Similar windows to remainder but with basket-arched and ogee heads to the lights. Longer south garden front in similar style of 3 different projecting coped gabled masses. Interior: Boardroom with fielded mahogany panelling and carved wooden frieze. Wooden fireplace flanked by fluted pilasters and egg and dart moulding. Some stained glass in the style of Burne Jones. Staircase removed but arcade and balustrading survive upstairs. Room to left of hall has fielded mahogany panelling divided by pilasters. Pedimented doorcase with acanthus frieze. Panelled ceiling and massive chimney breast with motto on bressumer and on Tudor-style stone fireplace with De Morgan tiles.

The estate was bought by George Mottershead in 1930 to house his private animal collection which with the founding of the North of England Zoological Society in 1934 led to the present zoo, now the second largest in Britain.

Listing NGR: SJ4140470158

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 41404 70158

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 12:18:01.